Sunday, April 4, 2021

THE GREAT POWER CORD CAPER OF 2021

 


I like to think that I'm pretty good about not losing things, and when I do lose them, I can usually find them quickly. Well, I'm not as young as I used to be and it's showing in more ways than one.  

I don't use my sewing machine on a regular basis.  I do a lot of handwork, and have already pieced projects queued up to quilt so the machine can sit unused for weeks and sometimes months at a time. In late November I got the urge to stitch together a couple of tote bags for which I'd already cut all the pieces. I was going to spend a few hours in the studio and spend my evening doing the handwork.

So much for that idea. I grabbed my basket of pieces and sat down at the machine. I put the thread in the holder and threaded it, inserted the bobbin and went to turn on the machine. It was then that I noticed it wasn't plugged in. I checked where I usually put the power cord and it wasn't there. At this point I thought, I'll just take a look around, it should be here somewhere. I looked through every drawer and cabinet, and I rummaged through every storage box. I eventually pulled the cabinets away from the wall, looked underneath and found nothing. Then I tackled the terrifying black hole of my storage closet, still nothing.

At this point I decided I wasn't getting any sewing done that day, and decided to focus on getting ready for Christmas and deal with the missing power cord later.

In January I decided that I needed to take another look so I spent another few hours looking in all the places I had already looked. Predictable result, no cord! I went online looking for a replacement. Out of stock everywhere, This was not looking good. Eventually I remembered that there was a sewing machine repair shop downtown so I called them.  Also, no luck, but he said there might be one around there somewhere so he'd look around and call me back. 

At this point I decided to take one more look.  I wasn't hopeful, but imagine my surprise when I saw this. . .


Yes, I am a special kind of genius! When I reorganized my studio I must have thought to just leave the cord plugged into the socket and plug it into the machine when I needed to use it.  Unfortunately, this thought didn't make it into my already overwhelmed memory bank to be stored for future use.

Then, when I was feeling about as stupid as a person can feel the phone rang. It was the sewing machine repairman. He'd found the cord I was looking for! I hated that he'd spent time looking for it, but he got a big laugh when I told him where I'd found it.  Now we both have a place to tell people to look for lost power cords...at the source!

Happy Stitching,

Susan

No comments: