Thursday, April 1, 2021

I'VE GOT SOME EXPLAINING TO DO . . .


Boy do I ever!

It’s been a very long time since I’ve been able to devote the time to my blogs that they deserve. I’ve missed everything about them, particularly hearing from my readers. I have tried several times over the last ten years to reboot, only to face another situation that requires my attention. Unfortunately, it’s been one situation after another, some pleasant, most not. I guess we call that life.

I pulled back in 2011 because of a business opportunity. As it turned out, it started off well, but then never picked up steam. We ended up pulling the plug in 2012. It was a wonderful experience in many ways, I met a lot of great people, got a little national exposure, and most importantly made a dear friend whom I treasure to this day. Ray continues to be supportive of me and all of my creative endeavors. Just goes to show you that every cloud has a silver lining!

During this time my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. It was a difficult time for my family. We’ve always been close, so losing Dad was a massive blow. A few months after he passed in 2014, my son became ill. Then in the spring of 2017 my older brother passed away from a massive heart attack. In June 2017 my husband was offered a job in Oregon. It was a challenging move.  My son and I had to pack up the whole house in 6 weeks in 110 degree heat. Fortunately, my son was fully recovered and is a strapping lad, fully capable of hauling 40 boxes of quilting supplies and 30 boxes of books downstairs. I would never have gotten through it without him.

It took us 8 months to find a new home, but now we’ve been settled in for a few years. My son is off at college, and I’m officially retired. Over the last couple of years we renovated a workshop on our property into a studio space, so now I have no excuse to not do something with all my fabric, supplies, and time!

I’m very grateful to be here, living among the trees off a gravel road, with wonderful neighbors nearby. My son is enjoying his senior year at the University of Oregon, my husband loves his new job, and I’m finally in a place where I can do what I want to do. Even my pets are thrilled to be here! My dogs, Indy and Penny get to chase wild turkeys and bark at deer, and my cat Janie loves to hang out in the catio my husband built for her.

Indy and Penny

Janie in her Catio

The only problem we do have is satellite internet.  It’s not great, so posting daily might be a problem.  We’ve just put down our deposit for Elon Musk’s new Starlink system, but we won’t be able to go online until the summer. Until then I plan to write a bunch of stuff at once and set them up to post a few times a week. I will also revisit some previous posts.

The Cranky Quilter will not be the only blog to go live. Fraidy Cat Quilters will also go live today and beginning on Friday, April 2nd, I will be reposting my original story “A Piece of Work” on QuiltLit.

Stay tuned for more info, and posts!

Happy Stitching!

Susan 

No comments: