Monday, April 26, 2021

MIXING NEW FABRICS AND OLD


Ta Da!  I finally pieced my Tufted Tweets quilt.  If you look closely you can see it's pinned on the left.  I haven't started quilting it yet, but didn't want to wait until it was basted to show it to you. 

I posted about tracking down these fabric in January of 2011, (which just goes to show it's worth digging into your stash!).  I had looked everywhere for it and finally found a bundle of fat quarters online. I actually still had this GIF of it in my files.




I bought the chair and couch fabrics years ago but couldn't figure out what to do with them. Finally, I decided I wanted the individual chairs and sofas to be set apart from each other and framing them in coordinating fabrics was the best way to integrate the different colors.  In the case of the Tufted Tweets line there are only two patterns other than the sofas and chairs, so I needed to turn to my stash.


I love to collect different colorways of the same patterns.  My favorites are allover patterns like the orange pink and white pattern around the red background chair, and the green and yellow combo around the purple couch, (you can see the red and orange colorway on the bottom left of the photo).  Since I had several of these colorway combos I used them to add some unity to the fabric selection, while still adding color.  Dots are always a great choice because they go with anything, so there are a few in the quilt as well.

I've been working a lot on stash busting recently and this project was a great one for digging through my stash and using fabrics from last year and beyond.   The purple fabric around the red couch at the top of the quilt is at least 8 years old, and the border is fabric from 1999.

Speaking of which, the border gave me fits!  I thought of using one of the fabrics in the quilt but everyone I tried just made the quilt look boring, (which considering the colors was hard to do!).  So, I decided to pick up the black of the chair and sofa legs and do a black border.  Black and white didn't give enough contrast so I decided to use the "sweet peas" fabric I've had forever.  I bought this when my son was a baby and had planned to make him an outfit with it, but by the time I got around to it, he was too big of a pea and I didn't have enough fabric.  So, it got put back into my stash.  I've always loved the sweet little peas and the mix of greens on the black background.  It reads "dots" but has enough interest not to be too polka dotty. 

So, I decided to put a three inch border in the black fabric all around the quilt.  I'll do the quilting and embellishment in the center first, and then decide how I'll finish the border  I have no idea what I'm going to do, but by the time I get there I'll figure it out.  I love the suspense!

Hope you enjoy my "take on tweet."  I 'm so glad I finally have it pieced.  It's sitting by my chair with my kit of threads and embellishments.  It'll be great to have some sewing to work on for a change. I'm still struggling with a sore wrist but I think I can get some sewing done.  Besides, I've been doing too much writing and not enough sewing for a while now.

Wish me luck!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: