Sunday, April 18, 2021

"COLLECTION" OR "STASH"



Over the years it's occured to me that my stash was as much a work of art in its' own way as my quilts are.  I've worked on it for years, carefully acquiring prints, colors, and styles over the years so I have a great selection to choose from.  It's easy for me when I get an idea to just go over to my stash and pull out what I need.

During the worst of the Covid lockdowns I spent months organizing, swatching and counting my fabric stash.  I'm already in the thousands, and am afraid to finish the count to see how many different fabrics I actually own.  It's terrifying, (and kinda wonderful!). 



Visitors who see my stash often ask me how I decide what to buy. I realized as I was explaining my fabric buying and collecting strategy that it really is a "strategy".  A great deal of thought has gone into it over the years.  I watch what's out there and select colors and styles that I love and that will work for the kind of art I do.  I buy colors that I know will only be available for a short while before the manufacturers change things up to follow new trends. 

I love blending fabrics from 10 or 20 years ago with stuff I just bought.  I believe it gives my work a distinctly different look.  It's easy enough to head down to the quilt store and pick up enough fabric to make a quilt, and those quilts can be very beautiful.  However, I don't like doing things the easy way.  I'd prefer to spend 40+ years amassing a "collection" of fabrics I can turn to whenever the urge strikes.

So, I've decided to stop calling my selection of fabrics a stash.  It sounds a bit like an old Cheech and Chong routine, about "having the stuff."  Instead I will raise my nose in the air, extend my pinkie finger and refer to my overflowing fabric as a "collection."  It's as dignified as any baseball card, beanie baby, or majolica ware collection and a lot more practical.  What other "collection" can you use to create something that may end up in another "collection?"  Sounds like a winner to me!

So, it's now official, I am a fabric "collector."

Happy Stitching (and Collecting!),

Susan

No comments: