Wednesday, May 12, 2021

ALIEN BITS





I've moved twice in the last 3 years.  The first time was when we moved from our spacious suburban house in California into a 2 bedroom apartment near Roseburg, Oregon.  My husband got a new job up there, so he went off in early June to live in a hotel while he found a place for us to live.  My son and I were tasked with moving out of our two story house in less than six weeks. Between my husband's tool collection, our mutual book collection, and my ginormous fabric and art supply collection...well, it was a lot of work.  It didn't help that it was 110 degrees outside.  It did help that my strapping 19 year old son was there to help. 



I wish we'd had more time for the move because I could have purged beforehand.  Now, that we've been in our new house for 3 years and my studio has been finished for two I find myself still struggling with what to keep and what to get rid of. The scraps above are a perfect example.  Bits and pieces of projects and samples that I don't remember, and I don't know what to do with.  I've thought of piecing them together and making tote bags or pillows, but wonder if I'll ever find the time.

I'd like to call these WIPs, and they might be if I knew what they were meant to be. As it is, it's like some alien spaceship landed, planted a bunch of odd quilting bits, and left me to sort them out.  What are they, when did I do this, and why?

I have no idea.

Of course, I have been quilting now for 46 years so it's not surprising that I don't remember. The fabrics look like they're from around 2010, maybe sooner, who knows? I recognize some batiks and some Kaffe Fassett prints that I know are at least ten years old.

I did some purging during the lockdown, and have set those fabrics aside for someone I know who will be able to use them. However, unfinished things are a different story. If I had all the pieces cut and a pattern I would be thrilled to give them to another quilter to finish.  Unfortunately, I don't work that way.  I tend to make small artsy kinds of quilts, and it would be hard for me to explain to another quilter what I was thinking when I started on my unfinished pieces.  Heck, I don't even know that myself! (or don't remember)

In many ways I'm proud of being a bit "out there" and doing things differently. I don't think I'd be very good at being a "normal" quilter, (whatever that is!). I actually envy those of you who pick a pattern, buy the fabric and actually finish the quilt, (with very few scraps left over).  

I think my "rebel" quilting style has more to do with my own reputation as a normal person.  Most people who know me don't know I have this weird quilting side to me, (quilting isn't weird, I am!). I was the "good girl" in school, although I was never a teacher's pet.  For some reason I'd be just bold enough not to be "that" kind of girl. However, I was naturally shy and quiet so I wasn't exactly an attention grabber. I hated attention! Sit me in a corner with a stack of books, or a needle and thread and some fabric and I'd be happy as a clam.

However, the time has come and gone that I needed to face reality.  It's time to make a big purge, (again!), so I can make space for new things.  The next month will be dedicated to finding a use for these odd bits and pieces.  I'll keep you posted on what I can come up with.  If any of you have a similar problem maybe I can inspire you to either do something with your bits, or toss them and move on.

I have been desperately wanting to post quality photos of my studio and some of the things I've been working on but I have a dilemma.  My cell phone takes terrible photos, and my husband can't find the charging cord for our digital camera.  Hopefully that will be resolved soon and I can start posting about what I'm working on in the studio.  Now that spring is here and it's warming up I plan to spend most of my time out there.  It has heat, but it's too darn cold and dark in the winter so I don't use it as much. I can't wait to get out there and purge and sew.  

I hope that those of you who are mothers had a wonderful "Mother's Day." My family has the habit of turning "days" into weekends. So, I had a great Mother's Day weekend.  I picked up my son at college on Friday morning, then we went out for lunch on Saturday and took him back on Sunday morning.  The best part was that we spent a lot of time together.  He's at the age when he really appreciates his parents and we have a great time with each other.  I miss him, but am so happy he's moving on with his life.

Well, that's it for today.  I've inspired myself to go out to the studio and start digging through the bits the aliens left for me.  Who knows, maybe I can use some of them for the hand-sewing case I designed this morning. 

In the meantime,

Happy Stitching!

Susan



No comments: