Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Fabric Moratorium

Late last year it became apparent that my fabric collection was getting a little out of control.  A combination of impossible-to-resist sales, and lack of progress on making new quilts forced me to review my fabric buying addiction.

So, in the interest of fiscal resposibility, I decided to try something different.  As a collector who does unusual work which involves a lot of variety in my quilts, I don't intend to entirely stop purchasing fabric.  I believe it's essential to keep up with buying colors and styles that are unique to the current time, as they won't come back around again in the same way.  However, there's no need to purchase fabric that isn't particularly unique or spectacular just because it's on sale and a good buy.

In the past when I've been bored I've perused the online fabric stores' clearance pages, looking for bargains.  I ended up buying fabric that was close to what I wanted, but really wasn't what I wanted.  There's a reason why things are on sale!  Of course, I did managed to pick up some fabrics that I will use and at a great price, but frankly, I could have lived without them.

So far my new system has worked incredibly well.  It's really rather simple, I only purchase fabrics in certain months.  This year, the months are February, April, June, August, October, and December.   So, since I know I'm not going to buy anything in the other months I don't waste my time looking online and if I do I put the things I want on my wishlist.  What's amazed me is that when February rolled around it was about a week before I checked my wish lists, and ended up only ordering a small selection of fabrics I really wanted. 

I still use my coupons at Joann's when I can, but have been using them for notions and other craft items.  This weekend I had a 25% off coupon and used it for magazines instead of fabric. 

I'm not thrilled about not contributing my normal share of fabric purchases to quilt shops and online retailers, as I know they need the business.  But, until I get more projects completed, this new system is working for me.  I can still purchase the fabrics I want, but I'm not wasting time shopping online, or spending more than I should on fabric I don't need.

Do any of you have a system that's working for you?  I'd love to hear about it.

I haven't been quilting for a while now, although I'm starting to get the bug that I need to get working on some of my WIPs.  My graphic design business has picked up some and it's cramping my quilting style.  I also told you about a business opportunity I'm working on.  It's very time consuming in the beginning so I've got a lot of work to do.  No rest for the wicked I guess!

Hope you're enjoying some spring weather for a change, it finally stopped raining here!  I'd be more excited if it wasn't that now my allergies are hyperactive.  It's always something, isn't it?

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Sarah Paisley and Plum said...

Hi Susan - I am spending seven months in London (following DH). Quilt fabric is about $20/yd over here - that has helped break any addictions. Although all visitors from the states have to bring me the next crucial piece when they fly over. Good luck on your endeavors!

Anonymous said...

You should try selling some of your extra fabric and sewing stuff that you already know you can live without at the website www.mysewingbooty.com It's really easy to do. They are also on facebook.