Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Days Long Gone

Wow, it's been a while since I posted last.  I was on such a roll a couple of weeks ago but the spate of illnesses haven't helped matters.  Just when I was getting over  my dose, my son got sick again!  It's one of those years.

The good thing is that it's sunny and clear out here in California.  I actually have the fan going in my office for the first time since October.  It's not unusual for us to have this kind of weather in February, (even January), but it usually doesn't last for more than a week.  At least I hope not!  The one thing old school Californians don't wish away is rain, we always need it.

I'm still struggling with the remnants of my flu a week ago.  The cough is lingering, like it always does.  I called the doctor, but they're so busy with really sick people that he gave me a list of symptoms to watch out for.  So far, so good.  I do tend to hang onto a cough for a while, so it will probably be gone soon.

In the meantime I've been trying to catch up on all of the housekeeping and other chores I let go when I was sick.   It's great to have the energy to tackle them, but it wears off fast.  I dream of the days when I could be sick one day and completely well the next.  Those days are long gone...

Speaking of days long gone.  My mother recently got a letter from a cousin of hers she hasn't seen in 70 years!  Isn't that amazing?  It's a fortunate circumstance because since my grandparents moved from Nebraska out to California when my mother was very small, she had little contact with her family.  Now, were getting all kinds of information as her cousin is working on the family geneaology.

This whole geneaology thing is so much fun.  I started doing one side of our family a few years ago and was able to confirm a lot of the stories my grandmother had told me, as well as make some new friends.  A very kind lady from New Jersey sent me some books she'd self published about our family, and there was a picture of my great grandmother, and great-great grandparents.  The amazing thing is that I looked a lot like my great grandmother when I was a child the same age. 

I also got an email from another lady who was researching another side of my family and it turned out that she was my father's second cousin, and she had inherited pictures of his family I'd never seen.  It was terrific to hear from her, and to see a great shot of my great grandfather with his father and brothers, taken in San Francisco in 1906, just 5 months after the great earthquake and fire.

I've been thinking about this even more lately as when I was putting some linens away I discovered some of my grandmother's quilts that I'd forgotten about.  They aren't spectacular pieces as my grandmother was a very practical woman.  She was a phenomenal seamstress, but wasn't really a "quilter."  I think she must have needed bedcovers so she made these.  The workmanship is great, but the fatric choices aren't the best.  I suspect that as thrifty as she was she probably used whatever she had on hand.  It's a reminder that for most of the time people have quilted, it was for warmth.  It hasn't been that long that we've been able to do it just for the beauty of it.

Aren't we lucky?

Happy Stitching!

Susan