Friday, January 28, 2011

Watching Out for the Cow

I couldn't resist this little illustration, and it's so fitting for so many reasons!

First of all, it's very foggy out here in Central California.  We have what they call "tule fog" and there's nothing quite like it.  It hangs very low and can be so bad that you can't see the front end of the car you're driving.  I grew up in it and I remember that we used to ride our bikes to school because it was safer.  At least we could hear the cars coming!  Besides, since I rode my bike to school from the time I was in 1st grade I think it could have gotten me there on it's own.  Tremendous homing instincts on a Schwinn Stingray.

Also, my husband has a great story about when he was riding his own bike to school in rural Ireland.  He slid on some ice and ran into a cow.  The cow wasn't at all perturbed but all of his schoolbooks and papers went flying.  The farmer helped him pick everything up, and he continued on.  No damage to the bike, or the cow!

I was also thinking yesterday, (and have I ever had time to think this week!), that there are a lot of cows in the way of our dreams and goals.  Have you ever gotten all excited about a project and then couldn't get to it because "something" kept coming up?  Then, by the time you have the time, you no longer have the enthusiasm?

That's me in a nutshell!  If I could just somehow transpose my creative brainwaves into a robot that would immediately pull, press, cut, piece, quilt and bind the quilt I have in my mind.  Wouldn't that be fabulous?  Of course, it wouldn't be as much fun for me, but it would be nice to see all those wonderful ideas brought to fruition instead of idling around in my overwhelmed brain.  Too bad I have zero tech skills, can you imagine how popular "Quiltbot" would be at the next Quilt Festival?

Oh well, back to the real world.  Things are better on the illness front, (you can probably tell by the happier prose!).  Still not entirely normal, but the fever hasn't been above 99 since last night so unless I get an unwelcome fever boost this afternoon, (don't you hate that late afternoon burn?), I should be good to go.  Of course I feel, (and look), like a horse that's been run hard and put away wet, but what can I do?  I'm old and I've been sick.  Give me a break!

This has been some week for me on the blogging front.  I was smart to have a few saved posts I could just plug in, but being sick made it possible for me to (kinda) focus and keep up.  Now that I have 3 blogs, (yes, I know I am crazy), it's going to be more of a challenge.  But, thecrankyquilter is where I can really let loose and be me so I won't be neglecting it.

http://www.fraidycatquilters/ has gotten off to a great start.  10 members after only a couple of weeks.  I hope you'll stop by and join the conversation.  It's been an eye opener to me because I've had so many comments and the emails I get, sometimes they'd just break your heart.  We all need to be kinder to our fellow quilters...

If you haven't had the chance yet, check out my newest blog, http://www.quiltlit.com/, it's a compendium of info about quilting magazines and books.  I've reviewed a few current magazines and hope to have a few more ready to roll for next week.  If you're not sure whether a current issue is worth your $ or not, it's a good place to check before you roll out the dough.  I'm also being a very brave, (or maybe masochistic), soul by beginning "Fiction Fridays" with the first part of my own foray into fiction.  It's called "A Piece of Work" and is a fun look at an unconventional quilter and the folks around her.  It's all in fun, so I hope you enjoy. 

Also, something very wierd happened this week, I got like 440 folks referred to my website from facebook.  Do any of you know what that was about?  I'd love to find out because whoever referred me has a ton of friends and I'd like to join that group, and give them my thanks.

I've got to get going on creating a blog reading list for my own site.  I'm a bit of a moron about how it works, but I have to admit that this week was not the week to try to figure it out.  If you have a blog you want to have listed, send it along to me.  I've got a few in mind that I know I want to add.

Thanks again for an interesting week, here's hoping to be fever free in February!

Woo Hoo!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: