Friday, January 14, 2011

Tweet it, Tweet it Good!

Last June "Tufted Tweets" by Laurie Wisbrun was my fabric of the month.  I wrote a couple of posts about it because I absolutely loved it!  I had all kinds of plans of what I was going to do with it when I got the fat quarter set, but had done nothing until I got shamed into it over at www.fraidycatquilters.com/.

Wednesday I designed it and cut out my pieces.  Yesterday I started piecing.  I like what I'm seeing so far, but it will be hard to know what it will end up looking like because I'm always changing my mind.  Hence, my further reluctance to make any promises! (Easy cop out, I know!)

Anyway, as I said in one of  my earlier posts about this line my concern was that it might be a little difficult to work with, due to the straight lines of the patterns.  I knew when I tackled it I'd have to do a lot of fussy cutting and less rotary cutting.  It would be very hard to keep everything straight otherwise.  I'm a stickler for that kind of thing, I really hate it when a line that should be straight isn't.  I know it's due to years of creating signage and graphics, (most clients don't like uneven things....even if it's meant to be that way!)

This morning I had the brilliant idea of doing a search on Google Images to see if I could find examples of what other quilters have done with this line.  I usually don't look in advance because I like to keep my designs original. but if you're uncomfortable designing for yourself, this is a great way to get ideas.  There are so many talented quilters out there, doing unique and fun things.  It's great to be able to see what they're up to, and so easily....gotta love that internet!

Here are some samples of what I found along with the links to their blogs and/or websites.  There's a whole lot of inspiration out there!

quiltilicious cut the fabric into diamonds framed with solid colors  

Beth used a wonky coins pattern paired with a solid.

Hannah made a pillow in a log cabin design.  This would also make a great quilt.

sequinK's pattern is deceptively simple.  Look at the different configurations of each square.

Jeri's combos of different squares make for an interesting quilt.  Notice how the solid bordered squares stand out.

                            http://lauriewis.blogspot.com/2010/04/giveaway-day-tufted-tweets.html
This is from Laurie Wisbrun's blog.  Very modern take on a bar quilt.

Great stuff from Ashley at filminthefridge.com.
Gotta love these potholders!  I'm starting to see the possibilities in hexagons.
 
More great stuff from Ashley, a simple design, well executed.

Now, I'm really inspired to finish piecing!  Hope you got some great ideas as well. 

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Staci said...

Oh, you know how curious I am to see what you do with your Tweets!

dooddles said...

Hello! - I've tagged you on my blog - please pop over to see why and accept only if you wish to :o)