Monday, January 24, 2011

Speechless

I'm finally speechless!  Yes, I have laryngitis and it makes things a little difficult around the house. 

You don't realize how much you order people around until you can't speak.  This morning was awkward because I had to get my son up, fed, and out the door for school without saying a word.  I'm proud I didn't resort to certain gestures, (although it was tempting), but it sure made me aware of how much I foam at the mouth.

Fortunately my son was terrific as he feels guilty for giving me this nasty bug.  I was constantly yelling at him for not covering his mouth when he coughed, and now I can't speak.  I suppose it could be from the yelling, but by the overall nastiness I'm feeling I suspect it's his nasty bug, hand delivered.

Oh well, as a mom there's no way to avoid these kinds of things.  Even if he had covered his mouth while coughing, as his mom I was the one who was taking care of him during his illness, (now fortunately over), so I was exposed in a hundred million impossible- to-avoid ways. 

The worst thing is that I had a long standing "date" with my best friend tomorrow (who I only get to see yearly), and I had to cancel.  There's no point to hanging out with your best friend if you can't speak.  So, we're going to have to reschedule and with her schedule and mine it won't be easy.  Bummer!

What I find really funny is that I rarely get phone calls in the morning, but this morning the phone's been ringing off the hook.  I answer it, squeak out a "Hi" and then when it becomes obvious to the caller that I can't respond they still continue to have a one sided converstation with me.  I will have to give my Mom credit because at least she said that was what she was going to do, but it's very frustrating to have people asking you questions when  you can't respond.  The silence is deafening.

There is, of course, a silver lining to this.  It's given me the opportunity to get some blog posts written in advance so I'll have more time to sew as the week goes on.  At least I hope so!  I was thinking I might be able to tackle some today but I'm too out of it.  It's odd that when my brain is fuzzy I can still write, but I guess a keyboard is less dangerous then working with a rotary cutter so it's probably best I stick to writing for now!

Speaking of which, I'm launching a new blog!
It's http://www.quiltlit.com/ and will feature magazine and book reviews, as well as original fiction.  I'm looking for contributors so if you're interested contact me at susan@quiltlit.com.  It should be fun!

Happy Stitching and Writing!

Susan

No comments: