Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Learning to Love Sharon

On New Years Eve we were at a friend's house for their annual party.  It's always lots of fun and we all have a great time. 

Those of you who don't know me personally might suspect that I'm more outgoing than I actually am.  Most people who first meet me probably don't know what to think.  I'm very shy one-on-one so I don't say a lot in the beggining so some people have thought I was stuck up. Not at all!  If anything it's that old inferiority complex at work.  I am not a star at social occasions.

I do have a wicked sense of humor and I'm quick with the witty repartee if I do say so myself.  However, you have to get to know me before it comes out, usually in unexpected ways.

Years ago I worked for a company where I had to travel, usually with a coworker.  I was new at the job and had a very demanding, (and psycho, but that's another story), boss who kept me very busy.  After I'd been there a couple of months I was told I'd have to travel down to Monterey with a colleague to visit some vendors.   This particular person was outspoken and not particularly well liked in the office.  For some reason, she'd gotten the idea that I was a goody-two-shoes and she was out to prove her theory.

So, as she was driving us she kept using swear words, told off color jokes, anything to see if I'd react.  I didn't know what to think except that maybe she was testing me, so I didn't react the way she'd expected.  I just carried on as if none of it bothered me at all, but I didn't join in.

Anyway, we went through the day, cautiously circling each other.  She wanted to have lunch at this restaurant at the wharf so we went in and ordered.  We were having casual conversation when we couldn't help but notice two pigeons enjoying a little "afternoon delight" right outside our window.  At that moment our food was served, and I turned to her and said, "Wow, dinner and a show" in my usual deadpan way. 

For some reason this struck her as hilarious and from then on we were buddies.  We kept it to ourselves because we figured out that my boss loved to do things to keep her staff unhappy. So, since she thought my friend and I hated each other, she used to arrange for us to travel together on a regular basis.  We'd leave the office sniping at each other but by the time we boarded the plane we had all kinds of shenanigans planned. 

I left the office as Susan,  but boarded the plane as Sharon.

Getting back to that New Year's party.  During the festivities a friend of ours accidentally called me Sharon.  Instead of being upset about it I decided to make Sharon into my fun loving alter-ego.   It's been liberating and I think has shown some of my friends a different side of me.   Sharon's a bit of a wild woman.  While Susan might not say "that" Sharon would and does!  She's the fun side of me, the "evil" twin who isn't really evil, more like mischievous, and she has a great time wherever she goes.

Whenever I'm feeling intimidated or shy I try to think of what Sharon would do.  She'd make friends with that person, tell that one off, and still have time to put her hair up in a beehive and go out and have fun.  I'm starting to like this gal, she's fun and happy, and she doesn't let stuff get her down.

"Live for the moment!"  Sharon says,

You gotta love her for that.

Fortunately, Sharon hasn't taken over my life.  But, I have to admit, she's fun to have around, and it wouldn't hurt me to emulate some of her qualities.  I suspect she's always been there, lurking around, waiting to come out and party.  Maybe I'll take her out for a spin more often!

Happy Stitching!

Susan