Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What a Difference a Professional Photographer Makes!

A few months ago I sent away a sample to C&T Publishing as a member of their Creative Troupe.  One of the great things about it is that they will professionally photograph your work and send you the files so you can use them for your portfolio.  The top photo is the professional's photograph, below is the one I took and posted on this blog.

What a difference! The professional's shows the detail and texture that my photo doesn't show.  Here's another detail:
It was worth the time and effort to do this project to get these photographs!  Professional photography is very expensive so this is a major bonus. 

If you're interested in getting involved in the Creative Troupe, here's the link:

http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_pages/creative_troupe.cfm

I've been fortunate to have my work professional photographed about a half dozen times and am never ceased to be amazed at how much better it looks.  It's almost like when I take the time to put on makeup, even my own child doesn't recognize me!

Speaking of which, (and this is a very poor segue...), I've hinted in previous posts about my adventures in contact lens land.   As someone who is nearly old enough to join AARP, (the operative word is "nearly"), my vision was becoming a problem.  I'm nearsighted, which is great for quilting, but not so hot for just about everything else.  I've been wearing bifocals, but they just make me dizzy, and I'm always leaving them somewhere.  Which would be OK if I could see well enough to find them.  As it stood, my son had a growing revenue stream as I had started paying him $1 to find my glasses for me.  He was doing it for free, but became unmotivated after the 5th request one day, so I decided I couldn't take advantage of what good nature he has left, (he's nearly 13), and started incentivizing him.

Anyway, my doctor thought I might be a good candidate for contacts so off I went to get fitted.  I've always been very nervous about anything to do with my eyes, so I was leery going in.  During the fitting I did great, and I loved how much better I could see. 

That happiness didn't last long.  Two days later I thought I'd put a lens in and was desperately trying to remove it.  I couldn't get it out, which is understandable since it was never in!  I had to go to the doctor again, who told me to stay off the lenses for a week and gave me a replacement for the lost lens.

Once my eye was healed I tried it again.  The right one went in easily, the left drove me crazy!  It was very thin and when I did get it in it was moving around and making my eyes water and sting.  It also kept popping out.  When I went for my follow-up appointment it turns out the lens was defective and it wasn't my poor lens inserting skills as I had feared.

I had to go and get refitted and now I have a set that fit and work, and I'm able to get them in and out easily.  I discovered when I had the defective lens that I could function just fine with a lens in my right eye for distance, and no lens in my left eye for handwork.  So, now I'm doing monovision most of the time, and inserting my left lens when I need it.  I was wondering if I'd ever get used to this contact lens thing, but now I'm loving it.  It was especially handy last night when I went to my son's basketball game.  I was able to really enjoy it for the first time in a long time.

I'm off to "see" what quilting I can get done.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

You've had quite an experience with your contact lenses. I think I'll stick to my bifocals since I need them for both close and far - lucky me!

Linda said...

I've been wearing multi-focal contact lenses for about 7 years now. I love them. I have found I have fewer problems if I use the type of contact solution called Clear Care. (It actually disinfects your lenses during the night.) As long as the light is good, I have no problem quilting with contacts on. Good luck!