Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Surprises and More!

I've been having a lot of fun lately and encountering a  lot of surprises.  I'm working on another project so I was going through my stash more thoroughly than I usually do.  I used to pride myself on never duplicating a fabric purchase because I knew my stash so well.  No longer!  Those brain cells aren't as active as they used to be so I didn't remember a lot of the fabrics I have.  What fun it was and how many great surprises I encountered as I tore though the stacks.

It reinforced for me that I have ENOUGH fabric!  Before Christmas I'd decided that I needed to clean out my email addresses because I was getting too many emails to keep up with them on a daily basis.  Most of them weren't spam, but were email alerts I'd subscribed to for various reasons.  One was a toy train site that my son loved when he was 5, which was only 8 years ago!  How much time have a I wasted deleting those emails all these years?  Way too much time that's for sure!

So, I unsubscribed myself from everything except a very few sites.  It's taken a while but I'm down to about 10 emails a day from over 50, which is a nice change.  I'm also glad I did it before Christmas because I was able to clear out a lot of those once a year email messages, I won't get them next year!  I also unsubscribed from all of the online fabric stores, (fabric.com, fabricshack.com, and hancocks of paducah....sorry!).  It was just too tempting getting all of those emails with luscious fabrics in them, not to mention the sales!  

A couple of posts ago I wrote about how so many of the styles nowadays are so similar.  I think I have enough of the current crop so I'm going to give it a rest for a few months to see if anything interesting and different comes up.  I think it's time to focus on what I have!

Also, I got a lovely email from Cindi at http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/ who had wanted to post a comment but couldn't because of  Blogger restrictions.  I've had other folks email me with a similar problem which I wish I had the power to correct.  Anyway, since I don't, if you want to contact me you can do so via susan@gillygaloofus.com.  I'd be happy to post your comment in my blogpost if you want me to, or maybe I'll save them up for one post every few weeks?  Anyway, if you don't want me to post it just let me know and it can be just between you and me.  I'm very careful about sharing other people's info so there are no worries there!

It's getting stormy out here in California but nothing like you folks back East are dealing with.  Hope everyone is safe and warm, and quilting!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

3 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

I agree that so many of the new fabrics seem to be repeats of previous patterns with maybe a slight color change. I'm hoping to stick with the fabric I have on hand - for now anyway.

Ann said...

If you go to the settings tab, then the comments tab under that, you can adjust who is allowed to comment and whether or not you have to moderate the comments.

And good luck sticking to stash! I need to as well.

Susan Gannon O'Connell said...

Thanks Ann, I hadn't taken a look at those settings since I started the blog. I've made it so anyone can comment. I haven't had any nasty spam so far so I think we're safe from anti-quilting trolls!