Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Day After Christmas Blues

Well, it's the day after Christmas, which means....I survived!

Actually, things could have been a lot worse.  As it turns out my husband finally made it home from Europe.  What a nightmare he had!  Tuesday morning he left his parent's house about 4am, and actually got onto a plane at Dublin airport.  This was after a couple of hours delay in the departure lounge.  Once on board they waited for 3 hours before the decision was made to close the airport.  So, here he was, on the coldest day ever in Ireland, stuck at Dublin airport.  Via family members he was able to get ahold of his niece, who was able to get to his sister's house and wait for him.  He finally got on a bus out of the airport and once in the city centre of Dublin realized that the cabs had stopped running.  Luckily a cab that was on it's way home spotted him and since he was heading the same direction offered to take him.

So, he ended up at his sister's house at about 6pm after one long hellish day.  The next morning he went through the same process, back at the airport before dawn, long wait in the lounge, then 4 hours on the plane.  Finally, the de-icing was done, only 20 minutes before they closed the airport again.  He was on his way to the States finally! They took off just in the nick of time.

He arrived in Philadelphia late at night and was put up in a hotel.  Finally, he got a smooth flight home and made it back to our home about 2:00 on Thursday.  Of course, he wasn't feeling well when he got home so we missed the Christmas Eve festivities at my parent's home, (we had no idea what germs he was harboring and my parent's aren't as young as they used to be!).  Anyway, he's slept as much as possible and we were able to get through Christmas day before he faded in the early evening.  Fortunately, his office is closed all week so this will be the week of recovery...I hope!  Travel has become such a nightmare.  About the only thing that didn't happen to him was a full on TSA body search, although they did spray his hands looking for explosive residue.

Needless to say, although we were all worn out by the week's traumas, we had a very grateful Christmas, especially when we heard about all of the trapped passengers in Europe.  He was lucky to get out when he did, he just happened to be on a plane during a very small window of opportunity.

Other than that we had a very nice Christmas.  My husband got me a Nook, which I'd been wanting, and my son was overwhelmed with gifts from his family here, and gifts sent with his father from the family in Ireland.  We had a lovely Christmas Day with my parents, brother, and brother and sister-in-law.  All in all everything went off very well and today we've spent the day recovering, with a small amount of shopping mixed in.  I'm so looking forward to tomorrow when I can enjoy all of the sewing related gifts I got, (Thanks Kendall!) and maybe finally get some quilting done.  Would be nice!

Hope your Christmas was Merry!

Happy Stitching!


No comments: