Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tossing It

As I've been mentioning lately, it seems like things have gotten a little out of control stashwise at my house.  Tonight my hubby wanted me to explain all of the stuff I have shoved into the guest bedroom closet...Yikes!

It was kind of embarrassing because at least half of it was stuff that I had when we moved into our house over 5 years ago.  I shoved it all up there and I haven't looked at it since.

The same thing is going on in my kitchen.  I've been cleaning out my cupboards and am embarrassed to find things I didn't even remember I had.  I mean, I know I'm getting older and the memory isn't what it used to be, but this is getting ridiculous.  I found 3 containers of dishwasher detergent under my sink, two of them nearly full.  Which means that I bought 2 that I didn't need.  I'll be tackling my dishware shelves next and I'm fairly certain that I'll find baby dishes in there, (and my son is nearly 13).  I actually threw bottles away when we moved into our house 5 years ago, when he was 7....why I hung onto them I don't know.  It wasn't like I was going to have another baby at my age.

I joke a lot about the show "Hoarders" although it isn't particularly funny.  The fact is that many people have a real problem getting rid of stuff and I'm one of them.  Of course I don't have newspapers stacked all over my house, (I put them in recycling as soon as I finish them).  I also get rid of old clothes, magazines, and sell my old books to the used bookstore. 

However, if it's the tiniest scrap of fabric that I think I might need, or a few beads, or some art supplies....

It's a whole different story!

As a child I always wanted more art supplies, (I used to wish I was Samantha on Bewitched so I could wiggle up some Scotch tape).  We weren't poor but I don't think an endless supply of Scotch tape  was in our family budget.  I'd be very surprised if there wasn't more than one occasion when there wasn't any tape in the house to wrap a birthday gift.  I had a real Scottish addiction, (go figure, I marry an Irishman, not a Scotsman....what was I thinking?)

Anyway, now I have all of the art supplies in the world, or at least more than I'll probably ever use.  A lot of that is because of the business I'm in.  Making custom presentations means that you need to have all different kinds of supplies on hand, and since I did I was able to make things happen and happen quickly.

However, that business is very slow right now, (more like nonexistent), so a lot of the art supplies I purchased for projects, (and that my clients paid for), I don't need any more.  Maybe it's my Scotch Tape deprived childhood that makes me hang onto this stuff, or maybe I have the old artist fantasy, that someday I'm going to get inspired and wouldn't it be awful if I didn't have what I needed right there and then?

Frankly, those scraps of fabric, dried up art supplies, and odd beads could very easily be donated or tossed and I probably wouldn't even miss them.  Now that I've been called on my "tendencies" I'm going to have to do something about it.  At least if I clear out the closet and the cupboards I can start pointing a finger at all of the fishing magazines and boxes of old cassette tapes....

So, I'm going to be starting my Spring cleaning before Christmas, and hopefully will be able to clear enough space that we won't have to pay the deductible on our homeowner's insurance for stubbed toes, (boxes sticking out from under the bed), or concussions, (from falling soup cans).  

Who knows, I might find a few rolls of Scotch Tape, (or a cute Scotsman)!

Happy Stitching!

Susan   

No comments: