Tuesday, November 23, 2010

So Much To Be Thankful For!

I was hoping to get a few more posts in before Thanksgiving but considering the groceries I bought yesterday and the chaos my house is in....well, it's not looking good!  Especially since I'm hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year.

So, I thought I'd spend my last post writing about all of the things I have to be thankful for.  There are so many that I can't list them here.  Suffice it to say that family, friends, country, and God are in the top four.  And, of course, the fact that I can afford to bring home tons of groceries and have a home to bring them too are also in the top ten.

Since it's impossible to list all of my blessings, I decided to focus on the quilting ones and hope you have some more to add.

So, here goes:

1) Okay, so this probably goes under the heading of givens, but I am grateful that I have the physical ability to quilt.  I can operate a foot pedal, use my hands to guide the fabric through the machine, and have the vision to see what I'm creating, (except when my left contact lens falls out!).  I'm also blessed with a high level of manual dexterity for hand quilting and embroidery.

2) I'm grateful that I've been able to accumulate a stash of fabric and supplies so that when the quilting mojo hits I can jump right in.

3) I'm grateful for the ongoing support of family and friends for my quilting endeavours.  Sometimes I think they get more joy out of it then I do, but then I get joy from their joy, so I guess we're even!

4) I'm grateful for all of the wonderful quilters-in-arms out there who are willing to go down "that" road with me on occasion.  You know, when I get on one of my crank-o-ramas about one thing or another?  Thanks for not giving up on me and hanging in there.  It may not be always a satisfying journey, but at least I don't think you'll fall asleep at the wheel!

5)  I'm grateful for the quilting industry.  All of the clever and creative men and women who've been making us salivate over quilt related goodies for years now.  What would we do without them?  I tell you, I love seeing what they're up to and then beating myself on the head because I didn't think of that nifty idea first.  "Stupid me, stupid me, stupid me!"  Hey, are those stars or did my left contact lens fall out again????

6)  I'm grateful to all of the wonderful quilting writers and the magazines that publish their work.  Special thanks to Melissa and Jake at Quilter's Home who have been so sweet and generous to little ole' me, (and who can forget those silly emails about my husband's odd predilictions? ... not what you think, by the way, all will be revealed in time...).

7) I'm grateful for the few successes I've had and the many setbacks I've experienced in my quilting life.  Whenever I get frustrated about something not working out my 12 year old pipes up with a comment about how many times Thomas Edison discovered how not to invent the light bulb.  (Why does he have to be right when I just want to whine?).

8)  I'm grateful for my studio.  It's a sometimes well organized space that I know I'm very fortunate to have.  It's also got a great little red chair that my little dog has made a bed in.  It's great to be stitching away and then look up to see him sleeping peacefully there.  Kind of gives me some perspective when I really screw something up.  He'll love me anyway....

9)  I'm grateful for my computer.  Even though my last one crashed,  I've been enjoying getting used to having a laptop and it's not such a bad thing.  I'm sitting in my comfy chair in the family room right now, typing away to the smell of fresh baked bread, and avoiding making my son his breakfast, (one more paragraph, sweetie!).

10) I'm  most grateful that I saw those quilts in that old 1960's issue of McCall's Needlework and Crafts.  I was just a kid then, but I'll never forget how happy those quilts made me.  They still do!

I'm not sure if I'll be posting again for a few days.  I have a lot to do to get ready for the holiday and then we will be heading up the North Coast of California for a few days afterwards.  I'm looking forward to enjoying  a long walk in Mendocino on Saturday, it'll be great to recharge those batteries.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!

Thanks for everything,

Happy Stitching,

Susan

2 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

Happy Thanksgiving and blessings to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.