Monday, November 1, 2010

She's back......

Well, here I go again.  It's been over a week since my last post.  I really have to get better about this!

As usual, it's because of computer and associated chaos, not to mention school, sport, and family events.  And the Giants in the World Series, (I've got to watch that!)

I'd love to say that during the last 10 days I've been doing tons of sewing.  Nope, Nada, Nothing...  Yikes! It's really rather sad and depressing, and I wonder why I'm feeling unmotivated.  It's hard to get motivated to do something when you look forward and see all of the commitments coming up; all of those things that are going to keep you from quilting. 

I don't know about you guys but this election is driving me crazy. I registered as "do not declare" so I get robocalls from everybody, (and I mean everybody!).  It seems like my phone has rung nonstop for the last two weeks.  Last week I got 4 calls one right after the other.  I don't know why campaigns think this is going to make me want to vote for their candidate.  It just makes me want to throw the phone out the window.  I do have caller ID but several of the people I talk to regularly block their numbers, so I never know.  The worst is that if I don't answer my voicemail fills up with messages that I then have to clear.  Thank God tomorrow's election day! 

Now, in case you're wondering what the wedding picture is for.....

I had a family party yesterday for my parent's 56th wedding anniversary.  56 years and they haven't killed each other yet, it's amazing and inspirational.  The party was very small, just my parents, my siblings and their spouses and children.  It's a small group, but it was great because we were able to surprise them by having part of the family arrive later.  They thought they were just coming over for a visit and didn't realize it was a party.  It did make things a bit frantic for me and my husband as we couldn't completely set up until after the surprise was revealed, but it was well worth it.  It was great to get everyone together, and my parents were thrilled and happy.  I'm just so grateful that we were able to do it for them.

It got me to thinking about what's really important in this life.  It's amazing how much your perspective changes as you get older.  It used to be that I could look at my family around me and didn't even think about how many more times we'd be able to all be together.  But now, I think about it all the time.  When are those chairs that were full of happy faces going to start emptying one by one?  I've been more fortunate than most as I still have both of my parents, but as I looked around the table yesterday I realized that we are all getting older.   Health problems are beginning to rear their ugly heads and we're all moving slower then we used to.  Hair is graying or disappearing, and all that laughter from previous family events has resulted in a ton of crow's feet and wrinkles.  

I think back on the family that sat around other tables years ago and remember all of the fun we had.  It's not over yet, not by a long shot, but it made me realize that I have to appreciate it more and facilitate it happening more often.

I also need to reach out to the younger members of the family and start being the "crazy aunt" I'd always wanted to be.  So, we made a plan for me to take two of my teenage nieces and my son on a trip to San Francisco before Christmas.  We'll have a blast and hopefully create some memories.

Because, isn't that what it's all about?  When you come down to it all of the quilts you create, your clean house, your college degrees, even your collectibles mean nothing if you didn't have your memories.

I plan to enjoy and share mine.

And hopefully do some quilting!  I have a very small thing to do tomorrow and then I should be free.  I'm still hoping to get the Joann's quilt done, and I want to make a little coat for my dog Indy before we go on our trip to the North Coast after Thanksgiving.  We found the cutest website about a little dog named Hairy Putter and his adventures.  He has a whole series of fun places to go with dogs where we're headed so we're going to check them out.  Then, hopefully, we'll send an email to Hairy Putter from Indiana Bones with photos.  It should be fun.

Happy Stitching, and I will post something tomorrow.

Oh, and I almost forgot!  Brita won the Art Quilt DVD in my giveaway.  I've already sent her an email but I'd like to thank all of you who entered, and I hope to have something else to giveaway before Christmas.  I really got some work to do!

Susan 


No comments: