Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Looking for Inspiration

If you've been reading this blog for any length of time you know that I struggle with motivation and inspiration.  Today was one of those days.  I had some time to quilt but was feeling unexcited about it.  That's not good for me.

There is nothing worse for me than to be bored.  I rarely am, but lately I'm dealing with a lack of inspiration.  So, I decided to take a cruise around my web "favorites" and revisit some sites that have gotten those creative juices burning in the past.

The first place I went is http://www.crownandcrumpet.com/.  It's a delightful tea shop in Ghiradelli Square in San Francisco.  What I love about this place is how whimsical and sweet it is.  It makes me salivate just looking at their photos of crumpets and pastries, not to mention the whole look of the shop.  It's just so "girly" isn't it?  What a relief from months of stinky football and baseball uniforms.......ahhhhhhh....
The next site I visited was http://www.pillowandmaxfield.com/, they design really cool and fun fabrics.  So fresh and lively, and full of the bright colors I can't get enough of.  It's enough to really wake you up, but in a nice way!  They also have great ideas on how to use their fabrics.
The last website is one I heard about from a friend of mine, http://www.amyatlas.com/.  If you're new here you might not know that for the last 10 years I've been involved in the high-end catering business, (that's what most of my website, http://www.gillygaloofus.com/, is about).  So, whenever something new and interesting comes up in that realm I like to know about it.

Amy Atlas designs dessert buffets for her clients in New York City.  They're very "Martha Stewart"ish is some ways, but her use of color is more intense and whimsical.  I happen to know that it's very hard to do what she does so kudos to her, her buffets are beautiful.  Here's a few to whet your appetite:
Aren't these creative and fun?  The color combinations are great but what I love is the repeating patterns.  I can visualize some of these as quilt blocks, especially the last photo.  Hmmmm, I just got some great dots, maybe I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

There are over a hundred photos in the "eye candy" section of her website.  I find them very inspiring, but also craving inducing.  Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles!

Happy Stitching,

Susan




1 comment:

Stray Stitches said...

Great sites. I hope your creative juices get flowing soon.