Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Every Cloud....

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the saying, "Every cloud has a silver lining."  There were times when I thought, "Oh yeah, really!" but now I'm a firm believer.

In yesterday's post I asked for your prayers and good thoughts for my son, as he was going to have an MRI for unusual numbness.  Well, as is often the case things did not work out quite as we planned.

We arrived for a 5:30 appointment at 5:15 and discovered that the station where we were supposed to meet the doctor was already closed.  Fortunately, I was able to get in touch with him and he came out and brought us in.  He had to do a preliminary exam before taking us down for the MRI.  He called down to confirm and was told that they didn't have an  appointment for us on Tuesday the 12th, the appointment was for Tuesday the 19th.  Turns out there was a mistake on the pediatric neurologist's report. 

Our doctor was so apologetic because he realized that he'd read the report and had been alarmed at how soon the MRI appointment was, and the content of the report, read within that context, made everything seem very urgent and serious.  The Neurologist had asked him to see us first, set up the blood work, and do a more thorough exam, focusing on certain areas and taking measurements for the MRI techs.  That's why he'd set up the appointment after hours so he could get us downstairs for the MRI in the early evening.

I have to say at first I was pretty annoyed, and then relieved because it all seemed less urgent and hence less frightening.   The best thing about this was that since we weren't rushing to make the MRI appointment and there were no other patients he was able to do a very thorough exam, and have a long converstion with my son.  During this conversation it came out that my son was having problems running during practice.  He'd never been a great runner so he assumed he just wasn't very good at it.  But, he told the doctor something he hadn't told us, that he was having problems breathing after he had run for a while and that he had pains in his chest and felt like his legs turned to lead.

The doctor jumped up, stuffed a breath tester into his mouth and had him blow a few times.  Turns out my son has sports-induced asthma, and it's a fairly serious case.  So, he's been prescribed inhalers, one for before bed and one for 30 minutes before exercise.  He took his first dose last night and woke up this morning feeling great. 

He's been pulled from P.E. and all contact sports until we get the results from the MRI.  So, he can go to practice, he just can't do anything where he'll be jostled about.  However, it's such a blessing in disguise because we'll be able to see how the inhaler works and he'll be able to start out slowly and build up when he gets the all clear. 

Isn't it amazing how things work out?  If he hadn't had the numbness we might never have known about the asthma.  I wonder if the numbness that was keeping him awake was God's way of getting our attention.  I guess we'll find out next week.  In the meantime, we are feeling so blessed that something good can come out of something so scary.

I'd like to thank all of you who sent us your prayers and support, I can't tell you how much it means to us.

OK, now enough of this stuff! It's time to get back to quilting!

Just wanted to let all of you know that http://www.fabrics.com/ is having a 30% off clearance sale.  Some of the stuff is terrific and if you buy $35 before the discount, they will still ship it for free.  I spent about $30 and got 8 yards of great fabric.  The promotion code is CLEAR30.

Also, I'm coming up on 175 posts in a few days.  Stay tuned for a giveaway!  I'll post the details tomorrow.

I haven't been doing as much quilting as I'd like but next week looks clear work-wise so watch out fabric stash!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

Stray Stitches said...

I'm so glad to hear things seem to heading in the right direction with your son! I'll still send up the prayers until you receive the all clear.