Friday, October 22, 2010

Adios Computer!


Wednesday was a sad day.... my faithful, fully-loaded, hardworking computer died an untimely death.  It got infected with some killer virus and could not be revived.  The computer repair guy was honest with me; he might be able to fix it but he couldn't guarantee it and it would cost about half what a new computer would cost.

So, my almost 6 year old baby is gone.  It's very sad as I got it when I was working from home and my previous company had loaded it up with all kinds of great software, which I am missing big time!  And my fonts!  And my music!  All gone....

Fortunately, my husband just got a laptop at his new job so I have his 5 month old super duper HP Pro Book.  For about $150 I was able to set it up on a docking station so I still have access to all my peripherals, (speakers, pen tablet, scanner, printer, external hard drive. etc.....).  And since I save everything to my external hard drive I didn't lose any important documents or photos...yeah, smart me!

I also still have the discs for my expensive graphic design software so I can download them.  I only have to replace a couple of programs I use regularly.  All in all, it could be soooooo much worse!

Speaking of which, my son just got the all clear from his doctors.  Turns out there wasn't anything nasty or scary going on and we were all able to breathe a sigh of relief.  I spoke with his primary doctor this morning and he admitted that he was pretty worried in the beginning because his symptoms were so unusual.  So, now we're doing 3 month check ups and he'll be able to continue with his sports.

There was one interesting development, and you may want to pass this on.  Turns out that he has a Vitamin D deficiency.

The doctor asked me if he spent a  lot of time in the sun and I was honestly able to say, YES!  We live in California so it's sunny from April - November, nearly every day.  This summer he was playing sports outside a total of 13 hours a week,  which is a lot when you consider the temperatures are often in the 90s. And that's on top of normal outside play time. 

Then he asked me the $60,000 question; does he use sunscreen? Now, my son's heritage is mostly Irish, with some English, Swedish, and a little Native American thrown in.  He's very light skinned and actually is lucky to have a beautiful "peaches and cream" complexion.  So, I do slather him with sunscreen, which I thought was what I was supposed to do.  Well, yes, and no.  It's one of those things where you have to pick your poison; possible skin cancer or Vitamin D deficiency? 

Turns out this is becoming more common amongst kids today.  The parents slather them with 30+ SPF sunscreen, and the kids don't get enough Vitamin D from the sun.  We're going to be amping up all sources of Vitamin D in his diet, cutting the sunscreen back to a 15, and he's going to be taking drops 3 times a week.

So next time you see someone slathering their kid up with high SPF you might want to mention that they are putting their kids at risk for a Vitamin D deficiency.  A lower SPF should do the job and give them the Vitamin D they need.

And you thought this blog was about quilting!

Speaking of which, my studio is in absolute chaos!  I had to pull out all of my computer stuff and reroute it and now there's crap everywhere and I can't get to anything.  So, once again I have to dig myself out before I can get any quilting done.  Sometimes I think there's a massive conspiracy to keep my from quilting and using up my fabric stash.  It's starting to look like an episode from "Hoarders" in here!  Yikes!

So, I'm going to sign off now, and start putting things back into some semblence of order.  I have several projects in the works that I have to get done soon so I better get on the stick (stitch)!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so glad your son is okay. By the way, it's not only the kids who are suffering from Vitamin D deficiency. My 80 year old daddy, who is out in the south Texas sun a lot( but uses sunscreen)was also diagnosed with it. His doctor told him that it is a new problem across all ages and can cause problems a non-medical professional would never associate with a vitamin deficiency.
Good luck on your projects. It is a lot easier to quilt when you're not worrying about your children!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Vitamin D is an important one. Everyone north of Atlanta, GA is D deficient from Nov. through May of each year. I started taking D supplements last winter and it really made a big difference in how I felt and in my attitude.