Monday, September 13, 2010

Why I'm a Cranky Quilter

Well, I finally got around to showing you my unfinished sample for C&T Publishing.  I struggled with this for so long and I'm so happy that I'm nearly done!  Woo Hoo!!!

It's really hard to see the shimmer in the photographs.  It's so subtle, but the Liquitex Acrylic Iridescent Medium gave the batik fabrics an increased depth of color and I love the way the quilting looks. The stitches are more textured and they really stand out.  It's a slow slog though because the painted fabric is so thick that you can't take more than one quilting stitch at a time, I was thinking this morning that it reminds me of needlepoint or cross stitch.  Of course I had to add beads!  I thought of using more embellishments but I think the beads add a little texture and shimmer, and I didn't want the piece to get too complicated.

I think it's coming out well and if I don't fall asleep on the job I'll have it finished tomorrow.

Speaking of which, I'm so tired!!!  I don't know what it is other than my life is just too crazy right now.  We've been installing wood floors throughout the downstairs of our house so the place is pretty wrecked.  I've cleaned up a few times but have come to realize that it's a useless endeavour.  As long as there aren't any bugs or rodents, (not too much chance of that with our rat terrier in the house!), I'm just keeping the stacks of crap organized so they can be put back where they belong.  One section of my dining room looks like something out of "Hoarders"!  Of course, it's all the odds and ends of 4 rooms so it's not that bad, but I hate all this chaos.  It's really pooping me out!

Then, of course, I need to finish this quilt, I have a client who needs some stuff from me, my son and I both need our glasses updated, and I need to have a yearly exam.  My husband is crazy busy with work and wood floors, and my son is doing football five days a week and baseball one.  Last night I fell asleep sitting upright in a chair in the family room.  Something I NEVER do. The last time I did that was after my son was born 12 years ago.

I'd like there to be some easy solution like, "Just go to bed already!" but I don't have the time.  It's making me crazy that I can't see a morning I'll be able to sleep past 7:30 am until the 27th of September, when my son goes on fall break.  I can't wait!

I was telling my Mother the other day that sometimes I wish life was like a bus, where you could pull the cord and it would just stop for a while.  As an artist it's important to have some down time to recharge the batteries and open up that cobweb filled brain. It's hard to be creative when you're tired and cranky, and it doesn't do a heck of a lot for your wifely and motherly skills either.  My son was one of the easiest kids ever, but let him get too tired.....not a smart move!  Even now I have to shut off his lights early so he can get the sleep he needs.  We aim for at least 9 hours a night and mostly make it for him.  But for me it isn't until he falls asleep that I can get some of my stuff done.

I hate when life is so hectic that I have no time to even notice the roses, let alone smell them.  I don't think it's any way to live.  I decided this morning that I was going to get this sample done tomorrow, finish up my other work on Wednesday, and then take Thursday off.  Friday I need to clean up what I can before my brother and sister-in-law come out on Saturday.  Thank God it's them, they're young enough to leap over floor gaps and steer clear of hoarder stacks.  Besides, we'll eat good, then go to a night football game.  It's actually the one thing I'm looking forward to most, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to sleep till 8am on Sunday....

Ahhhh.....

Happy Stitching, (and sleeping you lucky ones!),

Susan

No comments: