Monday, September 27, 2010

Mark Lipinski's Fabric Trends

While at Barnes & Noble today I was thrilled to see Mark Lipinski's newest magazine, ""Fabric Trends" finally on the racks.  Of course I had to pick it up, read it, and review it here.

First of all, I want to say that I love Mark and what he's done to make quilting a lot more fun for us non-traditional types.  He's a breath of fresh air, having no qualms about telling it like it is and not going along just to get along.

That said, I have to say I was disappointed with this magazine.  I suspect part of it has to do with the fact that Mark's voice is here, but not predominant.  I also didn't care for the overall look of the magazine.  It's a quality publication, (no stingy thin paper here), but the pages weren't particularly lively, it read more informational than inspirational. 

I've never been a huge fan of Fabric Trends, mainly because they always seemed to be a bit behind the times.  I saw fabrics in the magazine that I'd already checked off as must haves in my Hancocks of Paducah catalog.  I suspect that Mark felt the same as he's made a real effort to feature upcoming fabric lines.  This is great because if you see a pattern you want to make you can still get the fabric.  The one downer is that the quilt patterns and fabric swatches are digital, not the "real" fabrics.  It definitely gives you a very good idea of what the quilts will look like but I love the actual look of real fabric and real finished quilts.  Of course, I don't know how else you can do what he wants to do.  If the fabrics aren't in the stores they couldn't be available for someone to cut, piece, and quilt a sample. I understand why it's the way it is, I just can't get used to it.

Also, as I said, it reads really informational.  Different Designers are featured and interviewed, and new fabric lines are shown.  There are also patterns for each designer, so this magazine should make the folks who didn't think "Quilter's Home" had enough patterns very happy indeed.  If you're really interested in fabric and fabric designers you will find tons of information here.  The magazine is content heavy, which is good if you're looking for something you can take your time over.  As an artist myself I found the articles about the different designers interesting, but I couldn't quite get over the "advertising" aspect.  Sometimes I thought I was reading press releases.


One thing that was cool is that the magazine has two sides.  "The Fabric Gallery" was my favorite part, just pages of fabric designs.  I loved salivating over some of the new fabrics and have already selected a few must haves.

The price of the magazine is $6.99 which is reasonable considering how big it is.  And as I said, the quality of the paper and printing is first rate.  There's a pattern pullout and lots of detailed instructions for the featured quilts.

If you are really into fabric and want to learn more about it, or if you love tons of patterns using new fabric lines I think this magazine will be worth your while.  If you're a Mark Lipinski fan you can get a fix here, but it's not a particularly satisfying one.

However, a first issue is always a hard thing and I'm sure Mark will amp it up the next time around.  I will definitely purchase the next copy of "Fabric Trends" just to see what he's up to, and because I love fabric!

I'd love to hear your impressions as well,

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: