Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What do you LOVE to do?

The last few days I've been on a roll about some of the things about quilting that I hate, most notably Quilt Meanies and unwelcoming local quilt shops.  There are some other things but I have to hold something back for one of those days when I really need to vent.  So.....let's talk about the good stuff!

There's so much that I love about quilting!  Even the more tedious jobs like cutting don't bother me too much, although I really want an Accucut machine, (who doesn't?).  I'm not a big fan of pressing, but I really love the smell of hot fabric, (flashbacks to hanging out with my Mom).  I don't even mind winding bobbins since I got my cute little bobbin winder.

I think the thing I love about quilting the most is that there are so many different layers to it.  You have the designing, the shopping, the pressing, the cutting, the piecing, the pressing, the basting, the pressing, and then of course the quilting, and in my case the embellishing.  All of them fun in their own way, (except maybe the pressing!). 

It's kind of like out here in California.  If you want to go to LA from the north you have to go down I-5, which is one long stretch of farmland, literally hundreds of miles of farmland.  Then once you get out of that it's miles and miles of mind numbing traffic.  Now, if you take a trip from where I live, (for instance), up to Lake Tahoe, the drive is more varied.  We go through the Delta, across the valley, up through the foothills, into the high Sierra, then down to the lake.  Along the way the ride is interrupted by towns and historic sites.  It's a lot more fun than that long slog south, and the scenery's a lot prettier when you get there, (although my son prefers the sites at Disneyland!).

It's the same with making a quilt, it's like a journey with lots of interesting, (and sometimes frustrating), stops along the way.  Sometimes you need to pull into a rest stop and take a breather, other times you drive right through, not even stopping for a potty break.  And always, there's another fun road to turn onto, whether it's taking that first quilting stitch, or starting that new quilt when you've just finished the binding on another one.   It's never a drive to LA, always a trek to Tahoe!

Sometimes I'm certain that what I love best is the embellishment part, but then selecting the fabrics is my favorite, as is piecing, and quilting.  I guess I just love all of it, just not at the same time.  Which is a good thing because I'm always working on multiple projects.  Designing one, piecing another, shopping for another, and embellishing another.  So, it's a good thing I love all of it.  The best thing is I never get bored!

I'd love to hear from you guys what you love most about quilting.  Let's face it, we've got to love it because it isn't easy or inexpensive, and it's very time consuming.  But, oh, when we're in the midst of it, it's like heaven!

Hope you find some stitching heaven soon.  I'm hoping to get some in tonight.  Can't wait!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: