Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Quilt Details

Larger photos of this quilt as well as details of the borders and blocks is now available at my website at http://gillygaloofus.com/school.html.  I'm glad I took the time to do it because I discovered a tiny error that was on about 10 pages, (yikes!), that I was able to fix. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed it but it was enough of an issue for me that I just spent 4 hours correcting it.  I think website design and maintenance are almost as time consuming as quilting!  And not half as much fun, my brain is now officially fried!
Here's another block detail, the flower in the center is a "softie" button which I embellished with beads. I then used a strand of beads in a rainbow formation to go around the inner circle border. Talk about a pain! This is a case where expensive beads work best because they're more consistent in size. I had to go back in and adjust this after I'd stitched it down, that process is a post in itself! I also did a simple quilting stitch around the black motifs on the outer border, and put a few white buttons on the blue inner border fabric.
This block has a really fun central fabric so I didn't have to do too much in the center of the block.  I outlined the black writing and sewing machine with a single strand of black thread.  The polka dots in the inner border are outlined in green thread.  The major work is on the outer border where I outlined the pattern in different colors and added a few beads and buttons.
This block has an art theme.  The palette is a "softie" with two pencil buttons stitched next to it.  The inner border has red flowers outlined in red beads and the outer border has a combo of little flower buttons and white seed beads in each polka dot.

I hope you've enjoy the details of this quilt.  If you have any questions about how I did anything or what exactly I did, send me an email at susan@gillygaloofus.com, or comment below and I'll respond. 

I need to get away from this computer because my head is about to explode!  So, I'll be back tomorrow.  In the meantime....

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: