Monday, August 9, 2010

It's Finally Finished!

The quilt I've been working on for the last few weeks is finally finished! 

It's always hard for me when I'm coming to the end of a project.  I've really enjoyed working on this one and started to feel sad when I realized I was nearly done.  It's interesting how attached you can become to a quilt, I always fall in love with what I'm working on, especially when that quilting mojo is really happening.  This was one of those quilts, so it's hard to put it in the finished pile.

Above is one of my favorite blocks.  The border is a traditional country style print, which I jazzed up with seed beads.  The leaves are all made up of shimmery green glass beads, with a green seed bead at the end.  I love the sparkle!  I also used buttons to decorate the flowers and loved how that retained the country look while still working with the more retro look of the piece.  The center figure is one of my handmade buttons which I created with vintage clipart, photoshopping the "STITCH" in the newspaper.  I love how the polka dots help to "pop" the center image.

This block was a little more difficult because of the pattern of the border.  Instead of trying to "fix" the differences in the motifs I decided to highlight them by using orange and green buttons, unifying them by stitching on orange crystal beads between each motif.  The center is one of my favorite scrapbooking "softies" used as a frame for one of my handmade buttons.  I love the dimension, and the stack of flowers in the corner of the frame. 
                          
Here's a detail, note how the softie is stitched under the black lip of the frame.  If you use matching thread the stitches aren't noticeable at all.  I love the dimension in this block.

There are a few more blocks to share and I am working on a large photo of the finished quilt that I'm going to have to link to on my other website.  I can't give you the full look with the tiny pictures the blogging site allows me to post.  As soon as I get that up I'll let you know and provide the link. 

In the meantime, I'm going to grab another one of my works in progress and see if I can't continue on my roll.  It would be great to get at least another one finished while I'm in the mood.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: