Sunday, August 1, 2010

August's Inspiration: Alexander Henry & The Brady Bunch

I can't tell you how loud I laughed when I saw Alexander Henry's new line, "Brady Bunch."  There's a flowery print for each of the girls and the boys have stripes and plaids to match.  Very retro, very seventies, very Brady!

Like many of you out there I remember the Brady Bunch when they were actually first run programs.  Of course, we never saw them, (or the Partridge Family), because there were other programs on that my father preferred to watch.  So, instead of the Bradys we watched Sanford and Son, (my dad had really great taste in sitcoms!).

I remember at the time that it was considered kind of uncool to watch the Brady Bunch.  It was looked upon as babyish and not something a respectable sixth grader or higher would waste their time on.  It wasn't until later when it was in reruns that I actually saw it.  It used to be on right before dinner time so we'd catch it now and then.  By that time I was able to look back on it and laugh at how things used to be. 

About this time I had the opportunity to meet Barry Williams, (the actor who played Greg).  A friend of mine's parents had a department store and he was coming to do a personal appearance.  I suppose I could have gone but I was totally not interested.  From what I heard he was a nice guy with a severe case of acne, (kind of like the rest of us!).

Anyway, I found this fabric line hysterically in sync with that era.  I don't know what I'd do with it quiltwise, but it would be so cool for a girl's room.  I can just picture it now, all hot pink and lime, with dashes of Brady...it's probably a good thing I have a son!

Of course it isn't just because of the Brady Bunch line that I find Alexander Henry's fabrics inspirational.  They use the best quality cottons and their prints are always interesting in a different, fun kind of way.  They aren't always as user friendly as other fabrics, but so much fun that I can't resist them.  Besides, I've been known to come across them at Joann's and get to use my 40% off coupon on them.  Love that!

I'm still working away on my "School Quilt" and am finishing up the last square before working on the final borders.  I'll post more about it tomorrow.  In the meantime....

"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...."

Happy Stitching,

Susan

1 comment:

Becky said...

Too funny! I must be about your age and "had to" watch it with my 10 years younger Sis.

Gotta link to the fabrics?