Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Inspiration for July: Laura Gunn

It's already a new month.  Well, actually tomorrow will be one week into a new month so as usual I'm behind...

For July I chose Laura Gunn's new fabric line "Poppy" as my inspiration fabric.  It's from Michael Miller, which means the quality will be high, (I've yet to be disappointed with one of their fabrics), and the colors are just fabulous!  I love the "painterly" aspect of these, they really are beautiful artwork transferred onto fabric. 

I especially love the dots.  Even if you're a more traditional quilter I can imagine that particular pattern making it into your quilts.  The great thing about "painterly" fabrics is that the colors are so varied within the one piece.  So, for instance you can see several different shades of green in one pattern, so great for tying disparate colors together.  I love this line!

In case you hadn't noticed, I have a real weakness for unusual fabrics.  I just love the challenge of them!  It's easy to make calicoes and simple prints into quilts but these kinds of fabrics call for making new creative choices.  How much fun is that?  Tons!!!

Also, if you get the chance check out Laura Gunn's blog, "Paint in My Hair" at http://lauragunn.typepad.com/, (don't you just love that title?).  It's a great place to see what she's up to and also some ideas of what to do with her unusual fabrics.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: