Saturday, July 31, 2010

Funky Fun with Purchased Embellishments

This is one funky, fun kitty! 

As you've probably gathered from previous posts, I'll use just about anything to embellish my quilts.  Recently I've noticed a lot of improvement in what's available in the big chain stores. 

The square above is from the quilt I'm currently working on, (and close to finishing...whoopie!).  All of the embellishments on this square were purchased either from Michael's or Joann's.  The buttons on the corners were purchased (on sale) from the scrapbooking section at Michael's.  They had adhesive on the back of them but it was easy enough to remove.  I love the simple design, and of course anything with red on it gets my vote!

The central kitty was a button from Joann's.  I got two of them on a card and I actually went back and bought another card because I love them so much.  Of course, I waited for the 50% off button sale and saved a bundle.

The "funky" is another one of my faves,"Softies" from the scrapbooking aisle.  Some of them are actually made like buttons, but the ones that don't have holes are very easy to sew on.

The interior border is embroidered in a combo of chain and satin stitch, just to give it a little texture, and the two floral buttons were added to the side.  The large translucent pink button with the smaller red button center both came from Joann's, the blue flower is a "Softie."

All in all it's a fun and very simple square.  It also proves that you don't have to go all out and make your own embellishments to have a unique, creative embellished quilt.

I'm going to go back to working on this quilt and see if I can finish it this weekend.  Unfortunately, I've managed to catch myself some kind of summer cold/flu so I'm going to have to take it easy.  The only good thing about it is that I'm forced to rest and therefore can work on my quilt.  I guess there's a silver lining to every cloud.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: