Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An "A++" and "problems"

Here we go again, this is the next square in the "school" quilt, (which is what I'm calling it now!).  This square earned an A++, Wow!  Of course it also has "problems" but then don't we all?

I've posted about this square before so I won't spend a lot of time on it.  The main thing that happened here is that I used an assortment of square buttons to replace the square shapes on the fabric.  I used an assortment of greens with a few mother-of-pearl  buttons just to add interest.  If they were all the same it would be very boring to look at.  The "A++" is simply outlined in a fine chain stitch. not a whole lot to do here.
The next square has a lot more embellishment.  Because the outside patterns were so busy I decided to keep the center of the square simple.  In this case it's a purchased wood button surrounded by a circle of running quilt stitches.  The outer border derives its' dimension from a selection of yellow buttons, (two sizes), and some red heart buttons.  The interior border is accented by seed beads stitched inside of the lines of the fabric's pattern.  I selected different color beads so they would stand out against the background, or if I wanted the look to be more about texture than color I used a matching color.  What I love about this is that the little "dots" of the seed beads tie the dots of the round border into the yellow dots on the outside border.
Pretty dotty!

My theory about embellishment is that it's a way to improve the look of the original fabric in some way.  Either by adding luster, texture, color, whatever....the point is to help the fabric integrate with the surrounding fabrics.  My quilts aren't about making a grand statement from across the room.  They're about getting up close and personal, each viewer seems to notice different things instead of being shouted at by one aspect of the piece.  To me every inch of a quilt is an opportunity to "seize the eye."  It's literal eye candy and that's the way I like it.  I've tried to do different kinds of quilts but always come back to embellishing the heck out of whatever I'm working on.  I just can't seem to help myself!

Speaking of which, I've got some more "eye candy" to work on!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: