Monday, June 14, 2010

Why Do Birthdays Mean Less ... When They Should Mean More?

Yes, I admit it, today is my birthday.  It used to be that my birthday was a huge deal that I would look forward to.  Now, it's more like every other day with the one advantage that everyone's nicer to me and I don't have to cook or clean up anything.  You gotta love that part of it!

Anyway, I've noticed a trend amongst my friends and family.  Once you get over 40 the birthdays become less exciting and more like something you have to get through.  I know people who don't even tell people it's their birthday and do absolutely nothing to celebrate.  It seems a shame to me.

I have to admit that I feel the same way, once you reach a certain age celebrating your birthday seems kind of, how shall I put this???  Self centered???  Everyone I know looks askance at older folks making a big deal of their birthday, it's considered a bit unseemly.

I've felt a bit awkward about it myself in recent years but it occurred to me that if there ever was a time to truly celebrate another year going by it would be when you're over 40.  Face it, you aren't going to have as many birthdays, and Lord knows when the last one will be.  So, you might as well enjoy it and make a big fuss about it.  Whenever I'd whine about another birthday someone would always pipe up with "It's better than the alternative!"  Of course they're right, so why not party down?

Well, part of it has to do with not having the energy to party down like I used to.  Not to mention that I probably shouldn't be eating all those party foods, imbibing those party beverages, or even dancing to those party tunes because I will definitely pay the price for all three the next day.  There's also the threat of party photos showing up in someone's Facebook page and putting a real damper on employment and business opportunities, (does anyone really want to hire a middle aged woman wearing a hula skirt with a lampshade on her head?).  Unlikely!

However, with a group of people you trust, (without cameras), a cooler full of adult beverages and a few platters of nachos, there's no better way to enjoy the day.  I'm not going to do it this year, (still recovering from baseball party Saturday night), but I am considering getting all of my Gemini girlfriends together next year for a major (or whatever we're capable of) blowout.  I don't think us older gals have forgotten how to have a good time, we're just going to have to make sure we'll have time to recover!

Happy Stitching!

Susan (one year older....but I don't feel any different!)

2 comments:

Michele said...

Happy Birthday! Definitely let loose and celebrate. My b-day was June 1 and I'm celebrating the whole month. For your celebration, you can make crafty little care packages/party favors for your buddies. Aspirin, mouthwash, minty gum, Bengay, bandaids, bifocals from the dollar store, get-out-of-jail free cards, etc. Have fun!

Ruth Anne Olson said...

Happy Birthday anyway.