Friday, June 18, 2010

SEW?

I just picked up this magazine at Michael's.  I've always loved the Somerset magazines because the photography is great and the artwork is inspiring.   I didn't expect it to have much traditional sewing as that isn't what this mixed media craze is about.

I'm not going to say that I was disappointed as I found a lot of very cool and interesting projects, and I can't resist the more colorful art.  For instance, this piece by Roxanne Padgett is after my own heart.  I love the colors, the text, and the use of black and white polka dots, (a weakness of mine), as well as all the embellishments.
I'm really torn about this stuff.  I like it but I can't imagine doing it myself, even though the style is similiar to my own.  I was thinking about it last night as I was thumbing the pages of this magazine.  Why am I so resistant to this rougher style of fabric art? 

I've been seeing these machine stitched mixed media pieces for a while now and although I admire their artistic value and in many ways envy their "out there" sensibility, I just can't bring myself to join the club.  The hard part is that I'd kind of like to.  I know it's not easy to do these things and I'm not devaluing it at all, it's just that if I deconstructed this piece and put it together the way I'd do it it would take so much longer.  Just hand appliquing the text would take me forever, not to mention piecing or appliquing the wedges, adding the embellishments and getting rid of all of the rough edges.  But would all my fussing and doing things the "right" way make it a better piece of art?  I don't think so.

Of course, I doubt this artist considers her work to be "quilting" so it's like comparing apples and oranges.  However, it got me thinking about why I do things the way I do them.  Maybe I should lighten up a bit, back off of the intense needle turning and have some fun with my sewing machine for a change.  The real temptation to me is that if I backed off of my insistence on perfect "technique" that maybe I'd get more done, and have more fun doing it.
                              
Have any of you tried this kind of work and what do you think about it? Part of me doesn't want to give up my traditional ways, but then, it would be great to finish a piece in a few days as opposed to a few months.  Very tempting.....

Happy Stitching!

Susan
                               
   

No comments: