Sunday, May 16, 2010

She's Back....well, kind of...

Another one of "those" weeks!  Isn't it amazing how these things come in bunches?  Those of you who read my blog regularly know that my husband was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago.  He's doing much better now, we have a new car, and things were getting back to normal.  Then....my son broke his pinkie finger!

Now, this doesn't seem like a big deal but it's the pinkie on his right hand so it has to be bound to the finger next to it and they both have to be in a cast midway to his elbow.  He's not in a lot of pain, (thank God!), but this injury has put quite a few kinks in our works around here!

It happened when he was playing field hockey at school.  He was tripped by another player and in breaking his fall he jammed his finger into the turf.  It caused a small split right at the base of the finger bone.  Because of this little accident he is going to miss the last two games of the baseball season and the playoffs.  Which did not make his coach happy as he's their main catcher and was just coming on as a pitcher.  Not to mention he finally started hitting again after a slump.  Bummer!

He was also supposed to play in the Spring Band Concert at his school on Wednesday, which won't be happening.  It's kind of hard to play a trumpet with half your hand in a cast.  Of course he's  most upset because his cast might not be off until after the big baseball end of season pool party.  The fact that he won't be able to write well on his finals hasn't fazed him!

I'm also discouraged because I recently realized that my son has a special talent.  He draws great quilt block designs!  I came upon a stash of house and car drawings at his school's open house last Thursday.  All I could see was quilts, quilts, quilts!  I just scanned the above image and will be converting it into a quilt block soon.  I love the quirky nature of the house, and the great trees!  They look like the Giant Sequoias we see when we go camping at Big Trees State Park.  Love them!

Of course, he thinks his drawing skills stink because he can't draw things realistically.  I'm actually jealous because I think his simpler designs are better suited to quilting then the over complicated designs I usually come up with.  This could be the Mother-Son design team match made in heaven. 

It got me thinking about how many other images I've seen lately that might make great quilt designs.  Tomorrow I'll show you a way to turn an unexpected image into a quilt block design.

Unfortunately, my hubby took my digital camera with him on his fishing trip, (got to have proof of those huge trout he's bound to catch!).  So, I'm going to have to figure out a way to do some interesting posts without up-to-date photos. It's a challenge!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: