Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Great Bead Box!


I'm always looking for great bead/embellishment boxes.  Since I do most of my work while sitting in my recliner I need something that's sturdy and that won't pop open unexpectedly.

I'm a big fan of pill boxes because they have individual lids that pop open and close shut.  However, one problem with most of these is that they can be difficult to open and close easily, especially if you suffer from arthritis or in my case carpal tunnel syndrome.  I find I can still sew with it but opening and closing a lot of my bead boxes can sometimes be a problem.  And let me tell you, the worst thing ever is to open one and have everything fly all over the place.  You'll be finding beads in strange places for years!

The other night I was in Target getting some Motrin for my poor hubby, (the before mentioned "meat" in a car sandwich).  While there I noticed some new pill boxes.  These are called easy open ones and although they are a little pricier than my usual dollar store finds at $3.99 I think this box will be well worth the price for my chair side sewing kit.

What I love about it is that all you have to do is push down on the green edge and the individual box pops open.  It's so much better than having to lift the box and deal with the latch, or in the case of other boxes, hold down a latch on one end to unlock the lids for the whole box.  The box also has more heft than other boxes and has great little latex buttons on the bottom that help hold it in place on a desk or table.  It might be a problem to put in a bag that you're going to be lugging around as other objects near by might open the latches, but for a stationary box I can't think of one that beats it.

I saw online that there's an even larger box with 28 sections which is supposed to be available in the stores.  I didn't see it in my local Target but I'm going to have to keep my eye out for that one! 

I will still continue to use my dollar store finds for my travelling boxes and my long term storage, but this little box has found a permanent home next to my chair!

Oh, and by the way, my hubby's doing fine.  Today has been his worst day yet but it hasn't been as bad as we thought it would be.  Major hassle with rental car, (but that's a post in itself!), and we still haven't found out what's going to happen with our car....but, we're so blessed that he's OK, it's hard to be upset about the rest of it.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: