Monday, May 31, 2010

Clearing the Decks

                              
Once again I'm in the process of clearing the decks so I can finish my little cherry quilt.  It's nearly there....but, there are a few things I have to take care of before I can finish it.  Isn't that just the way it goes!

First of all, I needed to send my Mojo Doll to Quilter's Home Magazine to arrive before June 5th.  Fortunately, I'm in California so it shouldn't take long to get there, but I'm always one for giving things plenty of time.  So, yesterday afternoon I decided to package her up for her trip.

Now, those of you who don't know me well would assume that I'd just put her in a box with some tissue and send her on her way.  Not!

No, I'm too out-there insane to do that.  My years of working in the event industry doing presentations have made it impossible for me to do things the normal way.  At least this time I didn't do any pop-ups!
                                     
So above is the cover of the box with my cute label.  When you open it you see a piece of printed foamcore that looks like a suitcase, (at least that's the plan), along with Mojo Marge's passport.  Now this does sound like it would take forever but I did a suitcase lid with labels for a Ratatouille presentation a few years ago so I already had done some research on backgrounds and such.  I also did a world traveler presentation about a year ago in which the entire proposal was put into a giant "passport."  So, I already had the backgrounds, and the passport stamps for the interior.  Half the work in this presentation biz is research!

When you lift the lid there's Marge in all her glory!  At least the Graphic Design Side.  I put it forward because she has her eyes wide open.  The quilting side is a lot mellower, and when I tried her both ways I liked this one better.  Besides, it works well since I tied her into the box with some "create" printed ribbon.

                             
Her space is split in half design wise because that's me, trying to do at least two things at once!  The underside of the lid has the info they asked me to send along.  All in all I'm pleased with the result, at least I know Marge will arrive in style!

Whew!  That's one thing off my list!  Now I need to finish 13 DVDs for the baseball party, which isn't until the 12th, (yippee!).  However, as usual, I made more work for myself because I decided to take the photos of each boy I was going to burn on a disc for the parents and make it into a slideshow with music.  So, now I'm doing 13 separate 4 minute shows.  I just had to do it when I discovered the Marc Cohn song, "The Things We've Handed Down."  It was so perfect for how we all feel about our 12 year old boys.  I know the moms will love it but the dads will probably roll their eyes.  All I have to say is that I've made 10 of the thirteen and cried through everyone, and these aren't even my kids!

Oh, and a quick injury update.  I think I may have mentioned that my son got the cast off his wrist.  Typical kid, healed in a couple of weeks!  Geez, if it was me....I don't even want to think about it!  Of course I've had my own traumas.  Last Sunday I was stung twice by an African Honey Bee.  It hurt like crazy but I thought it was fine until Thursday night when it started to itch and by Friday night I had a full blown infection.  I'm OK now, but what a pain, (in more ways than one!).

Enough whining, I've got to finish putting the beads on the cherry quilt.  I'll try to post tomorrow. 

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Kim D. said...

Mojo Marge is fantastic. Great job!! Love the presentation and the passport idea.

Louise said...

Congrats on winning 1st place! Mine came in 2nd! It certainly was a fun project. Cheers, Louise