Saturday, April 24, 2010

"WIP"ping it Up!

Well, a while ago I made a commitment to getting some of my WIPs (Works In Progress) finished.  I posted about this quilt a couple of days ago when I was in the midst of appliquing the circle frames around the images in the center of each square.

The applique is done now and I've spent last night and this morning, (both at Little League games...won one, lost one!), quilting around the inner and outer parts of the frames.
It's hard to see the dimension in my photo but the appliqued frames with the quilting outline really stand out.  I'm loving the way this is turning out.

Yesterday I stitched the binding on and made a different choice than I'd originally intended.  At first I was going to frame the piece in black but decided that the Kaffe Fassett print I chose works better.

I love the combo of red, black and tan and that was my original intention.  Of course once I got going I couldn't resist adding some blue, and green, and lavender, and pink.  I didn't realize that there was so much pink in the piece until I put the binding fabric against it.  It made the red and the pink pop!  Now, what I thought was going to be a mostly black look has turned into a red one.  Love it!

Isn't it amazing how you can surprise yourself?  This is the main reason why I don't like to plan too far ahead, you never know what's going to "pop" up!

I'm really enjoying working on this so I'm going to keep at it and will keep you up-to-date.

In the meantime, have a great weekend!

Happy Stitching!

Susan