Well, the doll is done! I have to say that I had a lot of fun making it, and now I'm psyched about sewing again....woo hoo! It's been a while since I got to use my dressmaking/pattern drafting skills and it's good to know that I haven't lost it, (well at least I haven't lost that!). Of course it's a breeze to make clothes for a rectangular doll who doesn't have bosoms or hips or strange bumps and curves where they shouldn't be. It was a challenge to figure out how to make one doll look like two, but then if I didn't have a challenge it wouldn't be worthwhile.
This post is about the quilting side of my "bi" doll. As you can see I went with my favorite colors of red and pink. I love this Brandon Mably print. I bought it in all the colors I could get. I think it's perfect for this side of the doll because it has the look of patchwork but isn't overwhelming. Besides, any time I get to work with a fabric I absolutely love is a real bonus!
I used a selection of prints in different colors for the skirt and vest. One side of the vest is covered in all kinds of buttons, along with a softie that simply says "play." It's actually a scrapbooking embellishment. I love the softies because you can stitch them on easily and if you make a mistake you can't see the hole you made, (unless you use a huge needle). They're also not too big or bulky and they come in packages of lots of little ones for about $5.00. Well worth the price.
The other side of the vest has one big button, a "BAG?" button that I made because I love to make bags and I also love to collect them, especially quilting totes. Kind of silly because it's been a while since I've gone anywhere, but then you never know!
Her face is a fussy-cut piece from a moon/sun fabric I've had in my stash for years. I satin stitched her lips so they'd be a nice rich red. One of the things I like the best is her expression, she's very relaxed and comfortable with her quilter self....I'm loving that!
Her hair is made up of multiple strands of mixed beads with different charms attached to the ends. The hardest part was attaching them to her head!
The skirt is a simple ruffled skirt with an elastic waist. I trimmed the bottom with beads and buttons that I made with different fabric patterns. I added some charms to her waist including a pair of scissors, a thimble, and a red heart, (because quilting is where my heart lives).
Of course every gal has to have some footwear so she has a snazzy pair of red felt boots trimmed with a scrap of French trim from my scrap box.
I really enjoyed this project although it had its' snags. First of all, as I said in a previous post, it was difficult to turn because of its' little neck. Then that same neck became a problem once the heavy beaded hair was attached. It was flopping all over the place. So, I stuck a skewer up through the bottom of the doll into the neck and head. No more flopping head and now she shares one more characteristic with me, the old rod up the butt! I like to think of it as a core of strength, but others might have another opinion. Oh well, you can't make everybody happy!
Tomorrow I'll post about the other side of Mojo Mary, in the meantime....