Thursday, April 29, 2010

Strapping It On!


I've always loved finding unique ways to use my quilting skills.  A guitar strap is a great way to have fun and to make a cherished gift for a loved one, (or yourself!).

I made this strap for my husband years ago and although he doesn't use it often, it's still one of his cherished possessions.  I really enjoyed making it for him and it was one of those projects I took with me everywhere as it didn't take up a lot of space.

If you'd like to make one of these for the musician in your life it's a relatively easy process.  The most difficult thing was the strap hardware.  In his case I took apart an old strap and used the pieces.  I would think that you could probably pick up an inexpensive strap and cannibalize it.

To make the strap I started off with a strip of fusible fleece, it gives the strap more strength than standard batting.  Then I used scraps and crazy quilted from one edge to the other, adding applique and beads as I went.  Once the strap was the proper length I fused the quilted fleece to a piece of interfacing to give the strap more heft, and then mounted it on a long piece of coordinating fabric.  I allowed an inch extra on both sides of the lining so I could turn over the edge to the front of the strap.  This I whipstitched down.

It's been years since I did this but I would make sure that before you add the hardware that everything is functioning as it should.  I pinned everything together just to make sure.

I also made a little kit bag to go with it.  My husband uses his for storing picks and his glass slides.

I hope this inspires you to apply your quilting skills in even more directions.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

West Michigan Quilter said...

So cool! I bet my son would like one of those. Love your colors and fabric choices.