Thursday, April 22, 2010

On The Rio Grande

Yesterday I did a post about different ways to use unusual fabrics.  One of my favorite fabric designers, and quilt artists, is Terrie Mangat.  I've enjoyed her work for many years and was delighted to discover her when I did.  I'd been doing embellished quilts for several years at that time and was feeling like a real weirdo.  When I saw Terrie's work I was like, "Whoa!  Somebody else is doing this kind of work so I must not be a freak!"  It made me feel so much better.

Anyway, she's artistically worlds ahead of me and everytime I see one of her fabric collections for FreeSpirit Fabrics I get excited.  Her latest, On the Rio Grande, has been out for a while but I can only find it online at those pricey fabric stores I don't buy from, (the shipping's too high and I just can't bring myself to fork it over).  Anyway, I may have to suck it up and take the plunge because I have to get a few pieces of this river inspired line.

My husband probably won't mind as he's a crazy fly fisherman and would love the trout fabrics.  Hmmmm, I am going to be cooking up a storm for his McCloud River trip next month, maybe we can do a trade????  I'll have to work on that.

Anyway, getting back to Terrie's fabrics.  I love them!  They are so unusual and although they're rather "painterly" for some reason they don't stand out like a sore thumb with other more traditional fabrics.  Frankly, I love the larger patterns because I can go crazy getting all kinds of different looks from one piece.  Not to mention that her color sense is so wild, it gets me thinking about using color in different ways. 

If you want to see more of Terrie's work check out her website: http://terriestudio.com/

Also, you may have noticed that there are a couple of simple ads on my blog.  I've resisted "monetizing" for a while but have decided that I could use a little extra cash to support my fabric habit.  If they get to be too weird or distracting I'll opt out.  In the meantime I'm going to give it a try.  It's amazing what the mention in Quilter's Home has done for my stats.  The hits just keep coming.  Welcome new followers and thanks to my old faithfuls, (not that you're old or anything, I'm sure you're all at the most 19, I know I am!).

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: