Thursday, April 1, 2010

Less of Me

Most of you are probably too young to remember these.  I was just a kid when these came out in 1971 and remember seeing ads for them on TV.  Love that quilted look. (Maybe this is when I was bitten by the quilting bug!)

This week I started on a new diet.  I'm on my fourth day and doing fine, (haven't cheated yet!), but I'm getting soooooooo bored!  It doesn't help that my energy level is low. Of course that's to be expected when you cut your calories by two thirds.  Oh well, no pain, no gain....wait a minute, no pain, no loss!

I've struggled with my weight for years.  I was so skinny as a child that the kids at school called me "stringbean."  Once I hit puberty I had about two years before the struggle began.  I remember in the eighth grade trying to keep my weight at 125 lbs, (which would make me ginormous in comparison to a lot of eighth graders today!).  And was I built!  I found my 8th grade Home Economics book with my measurements in it and was shocked to discover that I was 36-24-34. Oh my God!  That's why the high school boys were so interested in me!  I was such an innocent I had no idea.

Geez, I wish I'd been able to hang onto that body for a while, it would have been great in my 20s, 30s, and 40s.  Of course now that I'm 50 I doubt everything would still be in the same places, but heck it would have been great if it had lasted.

Alas, it took me too long to realize that my Cheetos, corn dog, and Icee diet was not a good idea for a young woman.  Hence, the ongoing struggle....

So, I'm once again on the diet wagon.  The first week is the hardest but I've done this diet before with some success so I'm fairly confident that I can get back to my fighting weight soon.  Right now I still have the fighting spirit but I don't move as fast.  Besides, the extra pounds don't help the arthritis pain I'm starting to feel in my hands, nor do they help me avoid the Diabetes that thrives in my family. 

Of course, sitting at a computer and a sewing machine is probably not the best thing either.  For most of us quilting is a rather sedentary passion.  It's hard to quilt whilst running so I suppose it's unrealistic to expect it to be more aerobic, but I'm determined to get up out of my comfy chair more often during the day.  A few stretches wouldn't go amiss either.  I also have to make the effort to get out to more quilt shows.  Wandering around for hours burns a lot of calories and since I usually spend my meagre budget buying fabric I don't hang out at the snack bar.

And that's the one good thing about quilting, you can't snack while doing it!  It's kind of hard to run a sewing machine with one hand whilst munching on Cheetos with the other. (What's this obsession with Cheetos?  Have any of you ever noticed that when you're dieting you get cravings for foods you'd otherwise avoid?)

If any of you are wondering what diet I'm on it's from a book called "Cracking The Fat-Loss Code" by Wendy Chant.  I lost 40 lbs on it two years ago.  I can still fit into my clothes so I haven't gained back a huge amount, but I'm ready to do another push.  It really works.  The first week is the hardest because you're cutting carbs and calories, and detoxing from sugar all at the same time.  However it's structured in a way that if you follow it you won't feel hungry.  Of course that doesn't stop you from getting bored or from feeling weak.  Once you're past the first week it gets easier as there are days when you can eat almost normally, (I'm soooo looking forward to those days!).

Anyway, if any of you have any diet tips send them along.  Maybe we can come up with a Quilter's Diet that includes chocolate and fabric shopping, not necessarily in that order.

I'm off to munch on a lettuce leaf....

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

oddharmonic said...

I use embroidery as a reward for walking to and from my daughter's school each day. (It's a mile and a half each way, a pretty nice walk in a suburban area.) I carry a piece to work on in my bag along with my water bottle and when I get to the school, I sit and stitch while I wait for the kids to come outside.

I've been working on cutting way back on soda and drinking a lot more water this year. Every few weeks I have a soda so I don't feel deprived, but it's slowly starting to feel less satisfying than it used to after I drink it. (My husband reminds me I wouldn't water the plants with soda as encouragement.)