Friday, April 2, 2010

It's Out There...and I'm Loving Every Minute Of It!

Another Seinfeld reference!  Hard to believe it last aired an original episode 12 years ago.  We use a lot of the quotes from the show and it's a great way to find out quickly if you might be on the same page with someone.  My son will often use the whine "But I don't want to be a pirate...." when he doesn't want to do something.  Some people will look at him strangely and others will crack up.  Either way it's a conversation starter!

Ok, now that I've explained my blog title, (maybe I should make up titles that don't have to be explained....nah, too easy!), I'm ready to review the latest issue of Quilter's Home. 

Now, many of you that are reading this blog have already received the issue and may be reading this because my blog is listed as one of "55 Rad Blogs."  I never really thought of my blog as "Rad" but it's kinda fun to be "cooler" than I thought I was.  It's fitting because I've always warned my son about "cool"ness.  I 've told him that the only way to be "cool" is to not care if you are or not, which is pretty difficult to do.  I suppose that's why there aren't as many genuinely "cool" people out there as those that think they're "cool".  Kind of sums up my whole high school.

Anyway, I digress!  A little while ago I did a review of the new Alex Anderson/Ricky Tims The Quilt Life magazine, which I enjoyed.  I also reviewed the last issue of Quilter's Home, which for some reason is no longer in my archives, (I don't know how that happened, I must have accidentally erased it...it wouldn't be the first time!). 

The last issue of Quilter's Home disappointed me a little.  I thought that maybe they were trying too hard to get over Mark Lipinski's leaving, and I was upset that they didn't address the situation.  It was kind of like the elephant in the living room. I was pleasantly surprised that in the April/May issue the editors did address it.  It was nice to see that they recognized that for many of us Mark was the driving force behind the magazine and they responded to our concerns about where they were headed with it.

Now, I may be a bit biased because I had some pleasant interaction with both Jake Finch and Melissa Thompson Maher.  I found them pleasant and committed to making Quilter's Home a magazine that those of us who love Mark's quirky style would still find enjoyable. 

They've done a great job as I really enjoyed this issue!

I suspected that the last issue was put together when they were still dealing with Mark's departure and that they hadn't had the time to put their own stamp on it.  The new issue is definitely a step in the right direction.  I got it yesterday and after immediately going to the blog article, (it was a nice blurb about my blog...thanks guys!), I sat down to peruse the magazine. 

It is in many ways the same as when Mark was in charge but I actually like the graphics style of it better.  I'm a graphic designer in my day job so I notice those things.  I thought the overall look was more cheerful and brighter.  I also like that there weren't tons of ads interspersed throughout the magazine. You could get through content without being interrupted.  One of my main complaints about a lot of the "traditional" quilting magazines is that they have too many ads, sometimes I feel like I'm reading Vogue!

Of course this might not be great for the magazine as ad revenues are essential to survival.  I suspect that if we support their efforts that circulation will go up and we'll see more ads in future issues.  That's fine with me as long as they are integrated into the magazine well . . . please not in the middle of an article!

As far as the content goes, I found it interesting and fun.  I haven't read the whole thing yet, (I like to savor these things), but so far I'm impressed.

One thing I did think of is that those of us who like Quilter's Home are our own community.  We may enjoy the other magazines out there, but we claimed this quirky corner of the quilting world as our own.  I enjoy the other quilting magazines, even the really traditional ones, but I always come back Home because it speaks to me in ways the others don't. 

Thanks Jake and Melissa for getting it back on track, I look forward to seeing what you'll be up to in the next issue.

Oh, and I'd love to hear what all of you think.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

quiltingfool said...

Your take on the "new" QH magazine pretty much mirrored my thoughts exactly. I was very disappointed with the last issue, but this one I found I read from cover to cover, just like before, and laughed through much of it, even reading aloud to my husband. So yes, I think they're doing a good job keeping to what made this magazine interesting and different from the others. I've never yet seen a quilt in it that I liked, but the articles are fabulous. Mark should be proud. I don't know what caused the separation, but I'm glad the magazine is going on in sort of the same style.

Cheryl said...

i came to your blog from the blog list in QH magazine. Am going to try your inch squares project - like that idea, and like to have some hand work while traveling (well, not while I'm driving, of course).
I agree with your read on the current issue. I wanted though to write to Jake to say that the list of blogs in the hard copy of the magazine should definitely be put on the webpage, as clickable links, because the day of typing out long URLS is so over. I've been doing a couple a day, but I sure wish that we just had a list to click on. I also found that the webpage has the previous issue listed as "current issue" - so it's obviously not up to date. AND so far, I have not been able to find an e-mail address to send this suggestion/complaint to. I corresponded with Jake a couple times before when Mark asked for some suggestions for an article, but of course, I didn't keep her e-mail address.