Friday, April 9, 2010

Getting My Mojo Back


I've been posting lately about how I've been struggling with the urge to quilt.  Since I can't sit still and do nothing I decided to tackle the Quilting Mojo Doll Challenge in the newest issue of Quilter's Home.

I've written before about how I used to make doll clothes when I was a child.  I didn't mention that I also used to make dolls and stuffed animals.  They're actually a great way to learn how to sew because of all the curved pieces, the turning, and the stuffing and finishing. 

So, when I saw the challenge I thought, why not?  At least I'd be doing something creative and maybe it's what I need to get my Mojo back.  Besides, it's the perfect thing for me to do considering that I'm obsessed with embellishment and have about 8 million buttons, beads, charms, and assorted goodies to play with.

The pattern itself is very basic.  It was extremely hard to turn as the neck is really tiny.  I used the old trick of stitching a long piece of embroidery floss into each end with the floss inside the doll.  That way when I finished I only had to pull on the floss to turn the piece.  Thank you Lavina Scott!  (She was my clothing construction teacher in college)  It's a great trick for those teeny tiny turns, and when you use floss it's easy to pull the pieces out when you're done. Yippee!

So, now I have a simple doll to embellish and am I having fun!  I'm a bit of a split personality, (I'm a Gemini and I'm convinced I have an evil twin!)  I also move between the worlds of  Copywriting/Graphic Design and Quilting.  So, I made my doll with two differerent sides.  You might say she's two faced but that has negative connotations....let's not go there!

Since she has two sides I get to make two outfits.  Or, one outfit with two sides.  Above is the "vest" of the quilting side and below the one for the graphic design side.
Here's the Graphic Design Skirt:

And the Quilting Skirt:
And my favorite, the boots!
I hope to have the whole doll finished this weekend and I'll post it as soon as it's done.  I'm so glad I did this!  It was great getting back into the swing of things and I'm beginning to think I'll tackle my stack of WIPs next.

If any of you are working on a Mojo doll I'd love to see your progress or your finished product.  You can email pictures to me at thecrankyquilter@gillygaloofus.com.  I'll post'em if I get'em.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: