Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Embellishments Ho!

I'm just finishing up the hand quilting on the project I posted about last time.  Now it's time to start selecting the embellishments!

One of the best parts of my quilting process is that there are several fun steps interspersed with the not-so-much-fun stuff.  I love pulling the fabrics for a quilt but hate the cutting.  Then it's piecing which I do enjoy, but basting, which I don't.  I generally like the applique and quilting part, but usually by the time I'm through my fingers are sore, (I really need to get used to a thimble!), so I'm ready to move on.

The next step is selecting embellishments. One of the advantages of having done this kind of work since 1969, (OK, not that long....), is that I have a ton of stuff to choose from.  It's also a disadvantage because it's hard to decide what I will and will not use, and whether or not I want to use them.  There are some embellishments I've had for years but have never been able to part with. . . I need to get over that!

Anyway, when it's time to pull embellishments I go through all of my boxes of buttons and beads and start pulling things I think I may use.  I rarely ever use everything and more often than not end up going in a different direction than I originally intended, but that's part of the fun.

Above is a selection of possible buttons.  I selected ones that I thought would work but I'm not married to any of them.  I may or may not use them but it's a starting point.

I'm planning on using "Indian" beads in primary colors for this quilt.  I'm not sure where I'm going to use them yet, but not putting beads on a quilt is not an option for me!

I'm also planning on using some of my 1" English Piecing squares.  I'm definitely going to use some in the border area, but haven't decided where else I'll use them.  So, I pulled a selection of them as a starting point.   We'll see where I go with it!
I hope you can see where I'm going with this.  I wish I could!

Oh well, I'm going to get started this evening and I'll post my progress.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: