Friday, April 30, 2010

A Car Sandwich

I wish this was about food, (after all, it is lunchtime and that sandwich looks pretty yummy), but unfortunately it's not.  Yesterday my husband had the wonderful experience of being the "meat" in a car sandwich.  A woman rear-ended him into another car on his way home from work.

Fortunately, he seems to be OK, other than a little shaken up.  We went to the doctor this morning and he does have some whiplash, but no other injuries.  So, he's going to be on muscle relaxants and pain killers for a few days and hopefully that will be the end of it.  We're so grateful it happened in commute traffic because if the cars were going faster it could have been very serious.

Of course, today we're dealing with the aftermath.  The doctor's office to begin with, then dealing with the auto shop, the insurance companies, (3 different ones!), and then we have to pick up a rental car.  It's a full day's work.  We're just hoping that they don't "total" our car.

You see, we like our car.  It's a ten year old Honda Civic with over 100,000 miles on it but there are 3 main reasons why we like it.  #1, it's paid for, #2, it's paid for, and #3, it's paid for!  It suits our purposes just fine and we don't want to take on a car payment if we don't have to.  We're the kind of people who drive our cars until the doors fall off and the engine falls out.  I'm serious!  Our last car died a lingering death, but it lasted about a year longer than any mechanic would have thought.  We'd put a "do not resuscitate" order on it as we didn't want to spend one more dime on it. It blessed us by dying a few blocks from our house with a nearly empty tank.  No waste there!

So, it looks like there won't be any quilting from me today.  I'm writing this as my husband is on the phone with the 3rd insurance company and then we're off to pick up the rental car.  Then I get to pick up my son and take our dog to the vet for his rabies shot, (just got a notice YESTERDAY that he had to get his shot by May 1st).  Gee, thanks Animal Control for all the notice!!!

Seems like today I've earned my "Cranky Quilter" status.  Tomorrow should be better.  9am baseball game with my husband keeping score and me doing the pitch count.  It should be fun and hopefully not as exciting as our last game where our boys won by scoring 4 runs in the last inning.  Whew!!!  I felt sorry for the other team, though.  Their pitcher hit my son, (he's fine....he just rubbed some dirt in it!), and then hit the next batter.  His coach should have pulled him off, you could see he was starting to freak out.  I just don't know why coaches do that but I guess they're just trying to toughen the boys up.

Of course we quilters are a pretty tough lot. Criticize my stitching or my color sense and you're "outta here!"

Hope your weekend is a good one,

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

I'm glad to read that your husband is ok, although whip lash is no fun. I could relate very well with the car issue. I had my 1986 Honda for 16 years, traded it in for a used 1998 Honda when I was afraid the old one would no longer get me where I wanted to go. In December 2008 we got a Honda FIT, as the '98 was starting to cost us to much money. If we had waited a month and bought the FIT in '09 we would have gotten a tax credit. The story of my life. I gave up a little in comfort and features, but I am getting great gas mileage.

Maddie Can Fly said...

My Honda was like yours until some kid ran a stop sign and totaled it out. Hang in there with the insurance company -- don't take the first offer and remind them this was not your fault. They owe it to you to leave you in the same (financial) situation you were in to begin with. Good luck!