Monday, March 22, 2010

The Quilt Life

I was at Barnes & Noble the other day and spotted this new magazine.  I have kind of a love-hate relationship with the whole quilting "celebrity" thing.  I understand why it happens and frankly I don't begrudge those who've attained that status by hard work.  Heck, why shouldn't they cash in if they can?

I understand the attraction of it to some people, and I'm sure that Alex and Ricky have brought a lot of people into the quilting fold so I'm happy about that.  However, I'm always a bit leary when I see celebs faces on the covers of magazines, It's that old resistance I have to "authority." 

So, when I picked up this magazine I didn't really know what to expect.  I was pleasantly surprised.

First of all the editor is Jan Magee, who used to work with Mark Lipinski on Quilter's Home.  Alex and Ricki are "Creative Directors" so they do have some hand in it, but the magazine doesn't appear to be a vanity project. 

It doesn't have the consistent voice throughout like Quilter's Home had, but for those who found Mark a little much for them, (not everyone loves his style), this magazine is a good read.  One of the features I found fascinating was one that looked at artists that were known for another style of work, but were also quilters.  Since I'm a person who loves all different kinds of crafts and art forms, I thought it was a great idea to show how you can bring different perspectives to quilting. 

A lot of the articles were more about inspiration then about patterns for specific quilts.  There were several patterns for those who want them, as well as an article about an outdoor quilt show, (which is held annually about 15 miles from me .... how could I not have known?), and one with a couple of recipes, (those spinach enchiladas looked scrumptious but they had to have about 10 million calories in them!).

One of the most fun things is that this magazine actually has a centerfold.  It's a pullout picture of a quilt.  I could see posting these on a wall in my studio.

So, by and large I thought it was a hit.  I read it from cover to cover and now that Quilter's Home has changed hands it's the only quilting magazine I've read all the way through in a while.  If you're interested in a magazine with a cheerful attitude, real artistic integrity, inspiring and interesting articles, you might want to give it a try.  I know that I will purchase the next issue.

Happy Stitching!

Susan

2 comments:

Helen said...

Hi Susan

A magazine with a centre fold! That is a really inspired marketing idea. I didn't know Quilters Home had changed hands. Does that mean Mark Lipinski is no longer writing it??

Pat said...

I have that same love/hate relationship you do with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. I used to watch Alex when she had a television spot and hated to see that go. I've resisted buying their upgraded membership as I have enough projects to do without more--maybe someday I will. For the same reason, I didn't subscribe to the magazine. I remember the good old days, when I would shop at quilt shops in Colorado and Ricky Tims was a budding celebrity and not nearly as expensive to buy from! Oh well, I do wish them luck on their journey. It's crowded out there and they certainly have their followers.