Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March Inspiration



This month's "Inspiration" fabric designer is Tina Givens.

I chose her because everytime I see one of her fabrics I smile.  The colors are cheerful and the designs whimsical, yet modern.  I especially love the fact that the colors read "solid" but really aren't, there's a subtlety to her work that I enjoy and I find it suits my style of quilting really well.

I have heard some quilters complain about the scale of her fabrics, (the same can be said about a lot of Amy Butler's designs).  I can see that there might be some frustration trying to make these work in really traditional quilts.  However, they're so beautiful that I love seeing them in very simple quilts, large squares of an assortment of these fabrics make a wonderful and easy quilt to put together.  And, because of the color and whimsy of the patterns these fabrics could be used for everything from baby quilts to king sized quilts.  I wish I had a baby because I'd do a whole nursery in these!

I love Tina's designs because when I cut them up I get a lot of bang for my buck.  Each pattern has multiple possibilities; cut into small pieces you can get a whole range of colors from one piece.

I also like that if you collect her fabrics over the years they mix and match well.  The designs may be different but the colorways are constant enough that you can pull from several lines and still get a great effect.

I have some of her new line on order and can't wait to get my hands on them! 

In the meantime, I'm back to working on my studio upgrade.  My husband and I discussed my plans last night and he's on board.  I think he's actually relieved that I'm going to do something about it because it's been driving him crazy but he's too sweet to mention it.  He's not quite sure what I'm up to but after many years of marriage he assumes I know what I'm doing.  It's a good thing someone thinks so!

Anyway, I've got to go dig out from under....yikes!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: