Monday, March 1, 2010

I Hate My Desk!

It's been another one of "those" weeks.  I haven't blogged in a while because I've been working on the gifts and DVD for my son's basketball team.

A few years ago one of the mom's on the soccer team made a DVD from the photos she took throughout the season.  It was wonderful!  She's since become a friend of mine and what a talented person she is!  Her photographs were so well done and she put them together with music to make a great season end memento.

My husband is also a gifted photographer so he took the photos this year and since I have all the software I volunteered to put together a DVD.  What a task that was!  30 hours later it was done and it was a huge hit at the end-of season party but what a bite it took out of my life!  I also made posters for each individual child with photos of them and they loved those as well.  One of the parents said that I should do this for a living, which is funny because it's kind of what I do do.  But somehow I don't think many parents would want to pay the $50 I'd have to bill for one 11" x 17" poster.  This is a job you do for love, not money!

Anyway, whilst spending over 40 hours total working on these two projects I realized that I really, truly, absolutely and completely despise my desk.  I really hate it!  I bought it 5 years ago because I had negotiated a work-from-home plan with my former employer and I needed a desk to fit my computer, all my peripherals, (the scanner, DVD burner, external hard drive, 2 printers, and a tablet).  So, I bought this really ugly heavy cheap desk.  It was bad before but after 5 years of heavy use it's really nasty now. 

My studio space is always a mess and a lot of that has to do with the multiple uses of the space.  It also has to do with my desk which has very little space left on it to begin with.  Add a few items that need to be put away, and well, you have piles falling off all over the floor.  It's like an episode from "Clean House!"

Fortunately I'm not a hoarder and I don't mind getting rid of stuff I no longer use.  The hard part is that the kind of job I do and art I make requires a lot of different stuff.  I could go out and buy what I need when I need it but that's not always possible as a lot of my work tends to come in last minute.  So, I need to find a way to store everything so I can get to it but not at the expense of being constantly surrounded by cringe worthy clutter.

So, today I decided that it was time to do something about it.  I've decided that I'm going to move my nice cabinets that are now against the half wall in the loft over to the side where the desk is.  That way my desk clutter won't be so obvious when you come up the stairs.  I'm also going to dump this desk!  I bought 4 cheap small bookcases at Walmart this morning for $15 each.  I'm going to join them together back to front so I have 2 units with three 23" deep shelves each.  This way I can store my unfinished rolled quilts, not to mention my oversized papers and shipping supplies.  The plan is to place these units against the half wall and put a 72" counter top on top of them.  This way I'll have enough space for all of my stuff and some actual space to work!  My rolling art supply cart should be able to fit under it as well. 

My plan is to have my husband cut and paint a piece of plywood to place on each end so it looks finished, and then I'm going to make a curtain to put in front of it.  This way it'll be a great place to stash stuff and I don't have to look at it, and neither does anyone else!

Today I'm clearing out the guest room closet and starting to move a couple of my smaller storage units into it.  I should have enough space to still hang clothes above, and to store other stuff on the shelves.  And, since I'm putting drawer units in I'll be able to access what I need when I need it.  I'm trying to do it in a really organized way this time so I can keep it up.  I just hope I have the stamina to get it done before I give up and it's a worse mess than before! 

I am going to miss having my desk at the window, but this way I can have my worktable against the window and that's where I really need the light.  The computer is actually easier when the light's not as bright.  My main worry is going to be pulling it all out and reassembling it, that's what scares me the most!  However, a friend gave me a great tip, she said to take a digital photo of the back of my CPU and print it.  Then, as I take things out write down what each plug is for.  It'll make it easier to reassemble it.  I hope it works!

I'll keep you updated on my progress.  I just hope the new office will jumpstart my creativity, it needs a boost!

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: