Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Almost Done!

Whew!  What a process!

I've been working on updating and redoing my studio/office for the last 10 days.  As usual it turned out to be a bigger job than I'd originally imagined.  I decided that if I was going to take the time to do it that I'd take a little more time to do it right.  So, ten days later I'm just finishing up.

I hope to be able to unveil the whole project in a day or two.  In the meantime I thought I'd share with you my find.  It's a jewelry holder I picked up at TJ Maxx.  It's iron but it's got kind of a brownish cast to it so it's not stark black.  What I loved about it were the two birds and the racks made of twigs.  I've already started putting my business cards on it and plan on making some notecards out of scrap cardstock, (I've got tons of it that I can't bring myself to toss!).  These will be sized to fit in one space on the rack so I can keep track of phone numbers, and other tidbits.  Here's a closeup:
                              
I also got lucky at the dollar store yesterday and found some small tin signs that I'm going to hang under my bulletin board for other notes.  My plan is to print a scanned image and run it through my Xyron machine with the magnetic cartridge.  Then I'll have magnets that will perfectly match the signs so even when I have nothing on them they'll look great.  What a bargain for 2 bucks!
                              
This has been an interesting project as we've been trying to do the overhaul without spending much money. Right now I'm at about $100, and that's for 4 bookcases and a few odds and ends. Otherwise, we've used whatever we've had on hand, recycling things from other rooms and snagging bits and pieces from our garage. All in all I'm happy with the result. It's not quite finished but the space is much brighter and there's a lot more space. What amazed me the most is that I didn't have as much extra stuff as I thought I did. Once I sorted everything and put it in its place I found myself with about 1/3 of my new storage space unused. I had some cute bins and boxes so I have a lot of empty ones to fill up over time.

The plan was to create a space that my whole family can use and I think we're nearly there.  It'll be great to have a place to gather other than around the TV.

I'm off to baseball.  My son's team has a scrimmage tonight.  Hard to believe that it's that time of the year already!  It's going to be freezing out there, oh well....

Happy Stitching!

Susan

No comments: