Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Stack Of Stripes (and Checks!)

I couldn't resist these ethnic looking stripes and checks.  They reminded me of the hippie bags and smock tops they used to sell on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley.  Actually, they probably still sell them there, (talk about a time warp!).

I've always had a passion for color and have always loved anything with that Latin vibe.  Growing up in California in the 60s and 70s I was exposed to a lot of crafts from Mexico and South America.  When I visited Mexico City with a school group in 1976 I brought home embroidered blouses and lots of woven and macrame stuff, (I still use a macrame bag I bought there!). The markets were full of colorful textiles and my only regret is that I had so little money to spend.

When I was at the Pacific International Quilt Festival last fall I took some photographs of a few quilts that were made with these kinds of stripes and patterns.  It was so crowded that I often couldn't get close enough to get great shots, but a few that I shot over people's heads came out pretty well.  I wish I knew the artist, (and if you're out there let me know so I can credit you . . .your stuff is fab!), but I was only taking them for my own reference and hadn't planned on blogging about them.  Frankly, I was surprised that they came out at all!


This was my favorite.  I love how the stripes form squares and how the artist used lights, darks, and different hues to make them stand out.   I drafted the block and it's very simple, I just never thought of using it this way.  Wouldn't this be a great block to use to make a kaleidoscope quilt?  I'm picturing flowers in the squares and leaf patterned fabrics in the background.  Here's the drafted block, if you turn it on point you'll get squares like this, or leave it as is and get the center squares on point.



There were a couple of other quilts, I believe by the same artist.  Check out this one with the triangles, you don't see them very often!

                            

And more squares, I love this artist's sense of color!  It also looks like they threw in some batiks and patterned fabrics into this one.  It would be a very cool strip quilting project.

I'm so inspired! Wouldn't this style be great for a simple shoulder bag, with beads on the bottom?  I think I have an old woven belt that would make a great handle. Now, I just have to find the time . . .

Happy Stitching!

Susan

1 comment:

Scarlett Burroughs said...

I love the triangle quilt so much I linked to it here.
http://quilting.craftgossip.com/inspiration-color-triangle-quilt/2010/02/08/

Thanks so much for sharing photos with those of us who cannot make these quilt shows in person.

Warmest regards,
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip