Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Juggling Act



I don't know about you but whenever I read articles, blogs, or even follow my friends on Facebook I'm always amazed by how much other people seem to get done. 

I know I'm not a lazy person, but it seems like so much of my day is taken up with small but important tasks, and those bigger things that have to be done.  Everyday I spend at least a couple of hours in the kitchen cooking and then cleaning.  And then there's cleaning the house, laundry, and taking care of things like going to the post office or buying another birthday party gift, or just making sure my son hasn't fogotten his gym shorts. And the grocery store, I really hate the grocery store!

I also work 6-8 hours a day, trying to get my little business off the ground and taking care of clients.  Then there are the design projects, the "when I can find the time" things I really want to do, and of course, quilting!

The worst of it is that I know I have it easier than most.  I work from home and have only one child, (who's 12 and able to fend for himself a lot).  I don't know how those of you with multiple children and full-time jobs do it.  I get exhausted just thinking about it.

Of course when my son was younger and I was working outside the home it was harder.  My house was a lot messier, and the meals were more often frozen or take-out.  I also remember getting up in the middle of the night to squeeze in some quilting time so I could make a contest deadline.  I was also a lot younger, which is probably a bigger part ot this equation than I want to admit.

When I was younger I cared about more things than I do now.  I was more into being fashionable, and going out, and being "up" on all the new things.  Now I feel like I'm stuck in 1995, still expecting that new Seinfeld episode on Thursday nights and feeling dumbfounded that I don't know who any of the people in "People" magazine are.  I was actually looking at some photos of the "People's Choice Awards" and the only person I recognized was Steve Carell from "The Office."

Maybe I'm so out of touch because I 'm so busy living my life, and maybe that's a good thing.  A couple of years ago I was in a store and my son kept saying "Mom, Mom, Mom," and it was driving me crazy.  There was an older woman shopping nearby who caught my eye and smiled.  I said to her, "I know there's going to come a time when I'm going to miss hearing "Mom, Mom, Mom," but today isn't that day!"  She laughed and told me I was right, that she'd love to hear it now, but that she remembered those days when she just wanted her kids to shut up. 

I guess the trick is to make the best of the time you have, set your priorities and somehow make it happen.  I'm determined that in the new year I'm going to carve out some more time for quilting, and maybe cut back on those grocery store trips, (now if I could only keep my son and husband from drinking so much milk!).

If any of you have any tips I'd love to hear them.  Now, I have a couple of hours before the basketball game so I'm going to get some quilting done.  Yoo Hoo!

Happy Stitching,

Susan

1 comment:

Ruth Anne Olson said...

No kids at home anymore, but still have too much to do and too little time. Things keep popping up that I just can't avoid taking care of. If you find an answer, let me know.