Friday, December 4, 2009

Odds + Ends



Wow, it's been a while since I posted.  I wish it was because life was just so gosh darn exciting, but I'd be lying....yeah, it's pretty dull around here!  Actually it's easier to post when things are exciting than when they aren't.

I've been working away on the graphics business end.  It's the holidays and that means the event industry picks up.  So, I'm getting more business than usual, and as usual, the timing always stinks.  Everyone wants everything within the same tiny time frame . . . very frustrating.  I go from absolute chaos to nothing.  So I end up getting burned out and losing my quilting mojo. 

I've been working on the Creative Journey quilt while my husband and I have been catching up on "The Tudors."   Last time I mentioned it I'd put the flower on and started on the greenery.  I've finished some more of the leaves, and realized that I need to get some blanket stitching in here somewhere as it's all over the butterflies.  I might do it around the pink flower.  I currently have some chain stitching on the small part of the flower that I've stitched down so changing that won't be too difficult. I was thinking about doing it in the royal blue but I think I'll just do a darker shade of pink, maybe coral?  I want to add interest without making the stitching stand out too much.

See, I just changed my mind while I was typing this.  It's amazing I finish anything at all!

Here's a detail of the leaves:

I've also been playing with my sewing machine, (I am so NOT a machine quilter!).  I know I've been fighting machine quilting for years and it's mostly because I don't like the way it looks.  I decided that it was time for me to start playing with it.  It would certainly speed up the process for me.

I came to the realization that I was wanting the machine work to look like handwork and that was the wrong way to approach it.  I think exploring what I can do with the machine is a better way to go.

Fortunately I have a lot of experience with sewing machines.  I studied apparel design and construction in college and I can whip up just about anything without a pattern.  I always thought how great that would be when I had a little girl, and, of course, I had a boy!  So, since I don't sew for myself all of that skill has been lying dormant, waiting for some great awakening . . .

Below is my first real stab at it.  I'm still dealing with the scraps from my last cutting marathon and decided to do a practice run with them.  I had some fun picking out the fabrics and deciding on a simple design.  I also thought I'd be daring and use red thread and some fusible shapes with loose zig sag stitching.  I have to admit it was kind of fun, and it came together fairly quickly.

                                     

Bargain Shopping Alert!!!!



I was at Tuesday Morning yesterday and they had the Fons & Porter sewing machine needles on sale for .49 a package.  They also had other F&P supplies, including the sets of directional pins at great prices. 

I don't know how many of you have a Tuesday Morning store nearby but in case you thought they were just about housewares they aren't.  They have some of the best deals on craft supplies I've ever seen.  I bought 36" x 6" Fiskars gridded rulers there for $4.99 each. They also have beading supplies, scrapbooking stuff, and great totes and organizing systems.  I love it!  They know me over there as I go over at least once a week, (after Tuesday morning), to see if they have anything new in.  It's a great place for gifts for the crafter, and the prices are so low you can usually justify buying something for yourself!

Anyway, that's it for me for today.  I have a little downtime this weekend before all hell breaks loose next week, (crazy graphics stuff . . .the 12th is the biggest party day this year).  Hopefully I'll be able to post throughout, we'll see!

Happy Stitching,

Susan

2 comments:

Fiesta said...

Susan your quilt block is delightful and I love the colors you used on the bag. Could you share the pattern name of the quilt with me?

West Michigan Quilter said...

I love your quilt block. Your colors are fantastic. I'd also be interested in the pattern. Now, if I can just find all those beautiful fabrics!